Has anyone used those space bag or PackMate compression bags for dive travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trunkman

New
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on those space saving, compression bags. They're supposed to be great for creating more space in a suitcase or duffel. Allows you to pack more in your luggage. If you have used them, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

I haven't used them for dive travel, but I have used them for general travel, as well as moving.

They work great... I did have one time where the TSA opened them up and couldn't quite get them packed the same way so I got the other stuff in a box with my name on it.

Be sure to bring a spare.

Thanks for the reply! I would think they would be great for dive travel. Also, when I'm on a dive boat, it seems that everything I want to keep dry ends up getting wet. They're supposed to be waterproof, so maybe they'll take care of that.

I love these bags. I used them everytime I leave on vacation. They are great for bulky things like towels, sweaters, other clothing. Easy to use too. I just order and received 10 bags. I don't really know how many times I can use them before they wear out, never really noticed. I love the medium and large bags. If put in right clothing has minimal wrinkles.

trunkman:
I'd like some feedback on those space saving, compression bags. They're supposed to be great for creating more space in a suitcase or duffel. Allows you to pack more in your luggage. If you have used them, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

I've used them before (an off name brand) and never got them to stay sealed...

BTW... welcome to the boards!!

I have used them for dive travel and love them.

I use one when I dive locally and am riding with someone else on the way back home. I put my wetsuit in it so I don't get the buddies car wet. It also works great if I don't have the time, or just lazy, and don't get the suit rinsed for a couple of days. It is still wet and no funk.

last month had to pack hubby off for 18 nights in vanuatu.. usual story 27kgs of dive and camera gear and 4kg of clothing including a shark costume for a fancy dress party.

i spaced bag everything i could - including his wetsuit which he wasnt too thrilled about and will use them again.

the thing is to take stuff that you dont want to come back with - all the dive & boat staff ended up with his t-shirts and dive gear he didnt want to bring home and the garden & housekeeping staff ect got shirts, shorts and toiletries... even his toothbrush was quickly taken. On the trip home, his bag was only 23kg.

almitywife:
last month had to pack hubby off for 18 nights in vanuatu.. usual story 27kgs of dive and camera gear and 4kg of clothing including a shark costume for a fancy dress party.

i spaced bag everything i could - including his wetsuit which he wasnt too thrilled about and will use them again.

the thing is to take stuff that you dont want to come back with - all the dive & boat staff ended up with his t-shirts and dive gear he didnt want to bring home and the garden & housekeeping staff ect got shirts, shorts and toiletries... even his toothbrush was quickly taken. On the trip home, his bag was only 23kg.

My wife and I have used those bags on several trips. Of course they won't reduce the weight but they will reduce the area that your clothes or wet suits take up in your bag. We found that if TSA wants to search your bag, it is easily repacked because your clothes are all contained in the space bags. For that extra pair of bathing suits and tee shirts that you can put in your back pack (carry-on) they are great too.

trunkman:

Has anyone tried using the large ziploc bags? You'd probably have to use a bunch but there a lot cheaper than those space bags and they seem to work on the same principle. I looked on ziploc's website and they make them as big as 2' x 2.7'

Back
Top Bottom