Whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where is the best place to go to see Whale Sharks in Nov/Dec. Not a liveaboard - non diving husband will be with me. I know nowhere is guaranteed but just somewhere where the odds will be greater.

From what I understand, the Bay Islands are the only place where whale sharks are seen year round.

Hi Maggie,

There is a winter migration through Placencia, Belize as they follow spawning tuna. I've done the spring migration & they were there.

Contact Brian Young at Seahorse Dive Shop (http://www.belizescuba.com) & tell him what you're looking for. I wrote up my trip in "Undercurrent," and can send you a copy once you've made some basic decisions.

BTW, re a non-diver---Placencia is very, very quiet.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hi Maggie,

Might also wish to read the piece on whalesharks in the current issue of Sport Diver.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I saw two whale sharks in Madagascar last year.

I saw few of them in Christmas island (near Indonesia).

Cheers

If you want to know where you can see whale shark, you go on http://www.oceanes.com and you choose on the left "whale shark" and you will know all the place in the world where you have a chance to see one.

regards

Hi Antoine,

I suspect that many divers on this US based, English language board would not know that the French for whaleshark is "baleine à bosses." Even after determining this, a search for the term under the "Choose your favorite animal" function yields the message "ERROR: Invalid HTP Request."

I notice that over the past several days you & others have repeatedly brought attention to this website on a large number of scuba boards, not to mention several personal e-mails to me. While I can understand your enthusiasm, I would politely suggest that for the present some of your efforts might better go into improvements in the site.

Best of luck with it--mieux de la chance.

DocVikingo

I looked for it and I got a Humpbacked Whale!

Hi

First whale shark in french is Requin baleine and not baleine à bosse which is humpbacked whale.

Second I have nothing to do with this website but the thing I don't understand is that there is an english version so why are you looking for the french word.

When I connect myself to this website I am in english and I chose whale shark and I have the information.

Anyway maybe they still have some problem with their website as you say

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom