How bad is it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
..to check my regs on my next flight? I've done it before with no problems but I'm worried my luck may run out.

I don't want to carry them on the plane because i"m afraid I'll get turned back by security. I've carried them on before without major problems but at least once the security person wasn't sure what the regs were. I'm afraid they'll send me back to that long line out front to get them put on as checked baggage. And now apparently there are 2 sets of security screenings so I have to dodge the bullet twice!!

Maybe I should just check them from the beginning to avoid the headache.

I've never had a problem with checking regs in my dive bag.

Since my carry-on is filled with camera equipment, all of my dive equipment gets checked. It has never been a problem.

You could always take a intermediate pressure gauge with you and do a quick bench test on your regulator after you get to your destination.

:11: While I sometimes worry about damage to my checked gear...especially the reg...it has never been a problem for me.

The only situation I ever had, which actually was this summer, was that my bag did not arrive on the same flight as I did!!! After at least 25 years of travel all over the country and world, my first lost luggage was my DIVE GEAR!!

Now, mind you, the airline didn't consider it lost because they did have confirmation through tracking that it was in Houston---I was in Cancun!! I simply arrived to our resort 6 hours later (around midnight). Fortunately, all was in tact!!

Kevin

amascuba:
You could always take a intermediate pressure gauge with you and do a quick bench test on your regulator after you get to your destination.

I don't understand what this has to do with carrying a regulator in a carry on or in checked luggage. I assumed jiveturkey was concerned about TSA not letting him through withh it or it getting damamged or stolen from his checked luggage.

Joe

Was on a flight the day after the "new" rules. No problem either checking or carrying on. Coming back home I checked both sets of regs since I wouldn't be immediately needing them.

Properly packed there should be no problem with damage. Nor, have I had any problem getting anything through security. EXCEPT: Once in Orlando the TSA guy picked up my cannister light battery pack by the wires. While dangling it tenderly from his fingers he asked his associate: "What do you think? Is this a bomb?" His associate assured him it was a battery pack and all was well.

So, my rule is to properly pack and to check everything I won't absolutely need immediately after arrival. But I don't hesitate to carry on regs, lights and computers.

Check 'em.

scubajoe:
I don't understand what this has to do with carrying a regulator in a carry on or in checked luggage. I assumed jiveturkey was concerned about TSA not letting him through withh it or it getting damamged or stolen from his checked luggage.

Joe

To verify the functionality of the regulator after it's been through the baggage handling of TSA. The main reason why I've carried my regulator in carry on is because I never felt comfortable putting it in checked lugguge just so my bag can be tossed around like a wet noodle.

Actually, I always put mine in the check in...It is in the reg case and I sandwich it between all the soft stuff I take...clothes, wetsuits, black tar heroin, socks, you know...the usual. A baggage handler would have to have a personal vendetta to actually harm it when it is that insulated.

My concern, after the idiots in England tried to suck us all into their cowardly, suicidal stupidity, is whether cameras were now required check-in candidates. Has anyone traveled since and had a hassle with their camera gear?

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom