Carry on Cams and Batt.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do airlines allow passengers to have a battery in the camcordedr, or will they take it away or tell you that it has to be checked through? In the past, security wanted you to turn the cam on to demonstrate that it does work and is a cam. These batts. run about $40 and I don't want to lose it. If I don't have a batt. in the cam I can't turn it on for demo. Seems like a catch 22. What's your experience?

I always carry my batteries in my cameras and so far, have never had a problem.

Barracuda2:
Do airlines allow passengers to have a battery in the camcordedr

So far, no problem. If so- ask politely to speak with a supervisor.

We will soon have regulations forbidding any electronic device including car key remotes and any electronic device.

The Government and Airlines are just trying to develop a convenient way to remove them from your person, pack them quicly, safely and easily into an appropriately padded container- then insert them into the baggage handling system.

There is a great fear of remotely triggered devices that have been checked or secreted in an aircraft.

It is coming. Then we will indeed have those nude flights.

Jcsgt:
I always carry my batteries in my cameras and so far, have never had a problem.
Yep. I carried a camcorder, dive camera, and two land cameras in my laptop backpack earlier this month when stricter rules were at their worst - established enough to have been developed, but still new enough to lead to confusion and excessive treatment. All had batteries within. I had to take the camcorder and laptop out of the bag for the X-ray trip, but no problems.
RoatanMan:
So far, no problem. If so- ask politely to speak with a supervisor.

We will soon have regulations forbidding any electronic device including car key remotes and any electronic device.

The Government and Airlines are just trying to develop a convenient way to remove them from your person, pack them quicly, safely and easily into an appropriately padded container- then insert them into the baggage handling system.

There is a great fear of remotely triggered devices that have been checked or secreted in an aircraft.

It is coming. Then we will indeed have those nude flights.
The main reason that airlines will not let this happen is that they don't want to be held responsible for cameras lost or damaged in checked luggage. :)

DandyDon:
The main reason that airlines will not let this happen is that they don't want to be held responsible for cameras lost or damaged in checked luggage. :)

And I can see a lot of folks like myself who won't travel near as much if I can't carry my electronics with me. I don't trust the airlines with thousands of dollars worth of my equipment.

Recent trip involving security screenings at SFO and Miami, with a Light & Motion video housing, (holding camcorder with battery) as well as rechargeable video lights, went smoothly. The 35mm film in a clear plastic baggie I handed around the x-ray machine got more scrutiny, including wipes for explosives residue, but the camcorder went through without a second glance. My experiences overall with TSA have been good, with only rare exceptions.

Last trip I did was 2 weeks ago and all my cameras and camcorder had batteries and went as carry on. Camcoder had to be taken out and thrown in the bin of course.

About a week after the liquid incident I flew with my canister light with batteries, you know, the long batteries taped together and look like dynamite on xray. TSA didn't even look at the lights. In fact, they've never looked at the lights. They just usually move them to the side to get to the back plate!

Dive-aholic:
About a week after the liquid incident I flew with my canister light with batteries, you know, the long batteries taped together and look like dynamite on xray. TSA didn't even look at the lights. In fact, they've never looked at the lights. They just usually move them to the side to get to the back plate!
:lol:​
Trainacomin:
And I can see a lot of folks like myself who won't travel near as much if I can't carry my electronics with me. I don't trust the airlines with thousands of dollars worth of my equipment.
Yeah, and they can't ban laptops with airlines fighting to stay in business. Imagine how that would work, if everyone had to put their notebook computer in checked luggage. :lol2: But then, if they allow laptops, how can they ban anything else with electronics and batteries...??

There has been recent news that they're gonna' ease up on liquids in carry-ons. Not worth posting here, as it'll change again by the time you get to the airport, and it's all up to the agent at the time, but you can keep the expensive beverages you purchase within the secure area beyond screening when you board the plane now.
:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom