Compass in carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarheeldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be flying down to Aruba Monday to do some diving I was wondering if anyone has had any problem from TSA with the liquid in their compass being in their carry-on.
thanks,
greg

Greg,

We went down to Cozumel at the end of Sept. Going down I took the compasses off my computer coming back left them on and had no problems. TSA didn't say anything. There was an earlier thead that someone had talked to a TSA person who told him it was a guessing game depending on who was searching your stuff but overall I think you will be fine. If it attached to a console I belive you will have even less worries.

I flew to Fla in Aug, shortly after the liquid mess. I took them out on the way down, it's pretty simple to do but forgot to remove them on the way back. I carried 2 sets thru Ft Lauderdale airport with no problems. If you don't ask/don't tell I suspect you will not have any problems. Still, it's pretty easy to pop them in and out.

THD, come join us on the NC board. We have a lot of active NC/VA divers. We have something going most every weekend and good dive buddies are pretty easy to find. There is a link below my sig.

Thanks everyone I think I will just leave it the console & carry it on (hopefully). Herman, I do go on ncdivers sometimes tarheeldiver2 on it. I don't know if you remember but you posted me some advice for my Bonaire trip in April. I hope the Aruba diving will be pretty good I don't expect it to rate up with Bonaire though. By the the way do you dive any of the pdra quarries?
thanks,
greg

Sorry, I miss people on occasion. I have not dove a PDRA quarry in a long time, I usually end up at Rawlings or Rolesville. Aruba should be OK, I have never dove there but Curacao is very similar to Bonaire so I would assume Aruba is similar as well.

Just got back from Turks & Caicos, and absolutely no problem with running the compasses through security while attached to our consoles and in carryon luggage. A lot more interest in carry on stuff than usual, however, and I saw no evidence that they opened any of our checked luggage. Interesting. Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom