Favorite Dive Vacation, when and where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My friend and i were thinking about doing a dive vacation somewhere around the world, and all we want is somewhere warm. Can you tell me about your favorite dive vacation spots and why?

Bonaire.
Good food, lovely people, mostly divers on the island so no large crowds and some of the best shore diving to be had. The diving is easy, with no DMs or boat schedules to meet. It's just me and the fish. We decide how, when and where we dive, complete diving freedom.

Curacao for me!! Very easy dives, we did 22 dives in 11 days and never got on a boat. All great marked shore sites, a little more night life than Bonaire. Great food. We stayed at the Marriott and were very happy, great ground, onsite dive shop called Carribean Sea Sport who were great to work with. They kept a tab on tanks & fills for us (so did we and they had actually undercounted our bill and we made them up it) and it was $236 for the whole trip. We rented a car and drove everywhere, very easy to get around. Going back in Feb!!!

Thailand - but then I am rather biased :D

You could dive from Phi Phi, Phuket, Koh Lanta, Khao Lak up to The Simlan and Surin Islands, the southern islands Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang. There are various options ranging from local shore and boat dives, daytrips and Liveaboard cruises. The best period for these dives is between mid October - early May. Although from Phi Phi and Phuket the daytrips operate all year round.

The Keys, because they are easily and cheaply accessible for landlocked northerners like me --- direct flights, no passports or customs, no malaria or intestinal revenge maladies, American quality health care, and nice diving, reef and wreck,most of the year. Downside: unpredictable weather, generally longer boat rides, problematic viz at times, and sites can get crowded.

ABC islands, however, a close second. Weather, viz and sea conditions much more predictable and the ease of travel (language, disease, health care, customs, water quality, flights) comparable to US.:14:

Well, so far, I've been to Maui, the Virgin Islands, Indonesia, and Australia, and I'd go back to any of those places. But if somebody gave me a free trip, I'd go back to Byron Bay and Julian Rocks in Australia. Upsides are a pleasant town with lots of choices for restaurants and on-land activities, great dive op, short boat rides, INCREDIBLE sea life, people speak English. Downsides are expense and driving on the left hand side of the road :)

I have been all over the Caribbean and once to Micronesia. If I could rank them it would be as follows: 1. Palau; 2. Little Cayman; 3. Providenciales; 4. Cozumel.

that's really a tough one! I've never been on a dive trip I didn't love.
My favorite dive trip is always my last one!
If I had to pick just one, I would say the Nekton Cay Sal.......... easy to do 20+ dives, eat good food, hang out with other real divers, and dive dive dive.......

robint

My favorite dive place might not be yours, but okay...

We keep going back to Roatan's CoCoView, sometimes twice a year, usualy for two weeks at a crack.

Is that the only place? Heavens, no, but it is "home".

Since our last visit to CCV we have also been to Galapagos, Tobago, Sharm Red Sea, Philippines, Bonaire, Nekton and in a whole lot of July afternoon pools here with children in the midwest!

CoCoView is the kind of place that people adopt as a second home. It just feels good. It is a diver's resort- no illusions of Cozumel/Cancun/Cayman. You go there to dive, and dive you will.

You'll be surrounded by old hands who will gladly offer thoughts if asked, they will show you the cool microscopic critters that the South side of the island is noted for. The dive staff is very long term and you'll get to the point where you'll know their families and by bringing down gifts for their specific children.

The boats are aces. A center cut moon well for easy access in pitching seas. They are exceedingly camera friendly. The wet rooms are intelligently laid out and access to the boats and the resorts is close to 100% handicapped accessable. You might not be in a wheelchair, but as you get older...

The rooms are fun as they are out on posts over an active changing reef. The food is good and fattening and tasty. No shortage of it, either.

The best resort based shore dive in the Caribbean, and I've pretty well seen them all. 200' offshore of your room, follow the anchor chain out from 3 feet of water, explore the 140' tanker (Prince Albert Wreck), sitting upright in 35>65fsw, or wander off to the DC3 aircraft. Meet the critters- above and below the water.

We go to a lot of places, CoCoView is home. www.cocoviewresort.com and the bulletin board is http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv, but the webcam can really make you homesick: http://www.cocoviewresort.com/cam.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom