Checking baggage and locking it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdvaughn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey
I am taveling to florida in the next week or so and I was wondering what locks I can and should use while checking my dive luggage on the plane? I know you have to have a TSA lock I believe. I just want the best strongest one that is allowed to be used. Help!

Any TSA lock is allowed. There are several available to choose from.

We just got back from Mexico to Florida. We were advised to use a lock tie and not an actual lock. If they decide to check your checked bags, they'll cut it off.

Personally I prefer a hard case, samsonite or equivalent, combination lock, in a normal color, so it does not stand out. No stickers etc to advertise dive gear inside. No one bothers to break into these.

If they want in they will get in, best bet is to have nothing that advertises the contents.

If you are going to use a soft bag don't bother with a lock, Cableties in a bright color work perfectly. If the cabletie is gone then you know to look inside.

Ya, but TSA locks have a key that can be used to open any TSA approved lock.

Anyone have any recommendations to a website I can get one from. I want the bets of the best to try and deture thiefs. Thanks

why do you want a bright color cable tie? wouldnt that only draw attention? I am using a regualr roller luggage bag. Nothing that advertises dive gear. I just want to make sure I have the best option. It is a regular rectangular one, but it is made of the usul canvas type material. So it is rigid, just not like samsonite. So you say just use a cable tie?

Why a bright cable tie? just because a thief won't have one in his back pocket, really any cable tie will do.
Why a hard case? I used to do about 50 flights a year, and have had a number of bags slit so that thieves can rummage through them.
My last samsonite lasted hundreds of flights and it was only the handle that finally wore out.
Hand luggage is the big problem these days. How big a bag and what can you put in it. A nightmare here in the UK.

I'm in Palau waiting for my flight to Yap and I locked my bags with TSA locks as soon as they checked them. I check my regs and camera housing as well as my BC and misc stuff. I used the same TSA locks through Indonesia last month with no problems. I do use regular suitcases though, no dive bag or Pelicans anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom