Travel with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a878bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any experiences with travel with SS BP/W lately? Good ? Bad? Checked or Carry on ?

We went to Indonesia in September -- SS BP went checked. They searched our bags (and broke the latch on one of them) but no other problem.

What's funny is the carry-on stuff. They ALWAYS search the carry-ons, but they never seem to be worried about the same thing twice. Sometimes its the can light, sometimes its the regs, sometimes it's my husband's electronic stuff. No consistency at all.

Not lately but never had any trouble with charters. Pack up in roller bag and check it.

The Oxycheq travel BP and 18# wing could allmost be packed in a backpack for carry on....I still have a few months until I travel to Coz...

Ron

Back just over a month from Barbados and carried on my DR TransPlate and wing. No problems. TSA looked at it and said fine.

I always check my BP & W. I have way to much photo gear to use the space in my carry-on for a BP.

I always carry-on my perscription mask and will try to take on my reg if there is any room.

Last trip back from Mexico, had to take my SS BP out because of weight (wet gear wears more) and carry it on. At the carry-on check in Dallas, the supervisor said that it "could be a weapon", but let it through.

Personally, I'd check it.

Funy how they'll say it could be used as a weapon, but don't think twice about a reg set with a long hose.
Just imagine the damage one could do holding the second stage and letting the first fly at the end of a 5' or 7' hose.
But, I guess nearly anything could be used as a weapon by the truly resourceful.

Brewone0to:
Funy how they'll say it could be used as a weapon, but don't think twice about a reg set with a long hose.
Just imagine the damage one could do holding the second stage and letting the first fly at the end of a 5' or 7' hose.
But, I guess nearly anything could be used as a weapon by the truly resourceful.

Jeeze dude....dont give them any ideas !!

Was up in Washington this past weekend, and took my weighted STA and steel backplate with me. I checked my bags, and the bag with the plate in it was searched.

Not sure if it was the plate that got them or the scout lights that were mounted on the harness.

Other than finding the TSA pamphlet in my bag, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

~ Jason

For a week in the islands I travel with a standard small backpack and a small carry on duffel. Backplate (SS), regulator, computer, toiletries, and whatever clothing will fit go in the backpack. Wing, sta, wetsuit, fins (full foot), mask and some more clothes in the duffle. I carry it all on and have never had a hassle. No waiting for luggage on arrival, never having to deal with it getting lost, sent on a later flight, or all the other crazy things that seem to happen with checked bags is a real plus. The TSA folks always want to see what the backplate is so I just go ahead and take it out of the backpack and run it through the scanner seperately. Personally I find incredibly more convenient to travel with a bp/w than a traditional bulky bc. The modularity of the bp/w makes it so much easier to pack.

Back
Top Bottom