One Week trip to WHERE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
So we freed a week up in our schedule for April or May and trying to figure where to go. Both pretty experienced divers. Open to shore ops but prefer live-aboards. Budget is ok so we don't need to go barebones. Love big stuff but just as happy watching gobies. If you have a fav location include the operators you like.

Limitations are:
1. Traveling from Seattle, typically lose 1-2 days getting anywhere.
2. Want to do at least 4 dives per day.
3. Been to and trying not to repeat: Hawaii, Roatan&Utila, Coz, Turks, Bonaire, Belize, Grand Cayman (pondering Aggressor or Little Cayman) Guadalupe or Fiji.

Thanks for the help

I know a great quarry in Ohio! Dive all day, camp there overnight, repeat! Water might be in the 50's...alright, who am I kidding? I'm trying to get somewhere those same months. :wink:

I'm thinking about a week here (the Bahamas boat) http://www.caribexplorer.com/cex1html/bahamasindex.html My LDS is putting a group trip together, but someone has threatened to paint my toenails red on the trip. :icon10: Otherwise I hear it is a good trip.

I might trade trip that for a drive & dive in the Keys, but that would have to wait for summer.

Looking at your profile, you've been a couple of places already so maybe somewhere like Cocos or Galapogos. How about Tahiti (liveaboard) or Fiji (you mentioned it). Maybe San Salvador @ Riding Rock inn, when do the Hammerheads show up, isn't it in the spring? These would be some of my choices, I've been diving as long as you have and my partner is the good diving wife too. One great experience we've had was to go to South Africa and do some game parks and then dive at Sodwanna-Indian Ocean.

It's a very short trip to dive Catalina Island in southern California.
What about farther south into the Baja Peninsula?

Some good suggestions. We just did 10 days in Cocos; it was incredible and as chilly as the wife is willing to go. Galapogos is on the schedule for 08 and we are going to dive 5 days in Mozambique as part of an Africa trip in Sept of 07.

The more we think about it this may have to be a Carib trip but leaning to a live-aboard anyone have a favorite?

There's a Nekton Cay Sal trip on May 12th. We did it last June. Swam with a couple dozen Reef sharks, 2 big French Angels, a couple of Stingrays, an eerily friendly Remora, thousands of Silversides in a swimthrough, a cleaning station, schools of grunts and snappers, a couple dozen jawfish hiding in their holes.

And that was on Tuesday....

mjh:
So we freed a week up in our schedule for April or May and trying to figure where to go. Both pretty experienced divers. Open to shore ops but prefer live-aboards. Budget is ok so we don't need to go barebones. Love big stuff but just as happy watching gobies. If you have a fav location include the operators you like.

Limitations are:
1. Traveling from Seattle, typically lose 1-2 days getting anywhere.
2. Want to do at least 4 dives per day.
3. Been to and trying not to repeat: Hawaii, Roatan&Utila, Coz, Turks, Bonaire, Belize, Grand Cayman (pondering Aggressor or Little Cayman) Guadalupe or Fiji.

Thanks for the help

As someone already noted, how about Tahiti. I would love to go there, and that should be different from what you have experienced. if you like, and want to stay in the Caribbean, try Curacao. I am planning a trip there in April / May myself. Looks like a nice place with stuff to do on land too.

TOM

mjh:
Some good suggestions. We just did 10 days in Cocos; it was incredible and as chilly as the wife is willing to go. Galapogos is on the schedule for 08 and we are going to dive 5 days in Mozambique as part of an Africa trip in Sept of 07.

The more we think about it this may have to be a Carib trip but leaning to a live-aboard anyone have a favorite?

You shot my list to ***** :D By the way, how chili was the water in Cocos?
Moz. should be an excellent choice, I have friends that have been there a couple of times and they said it was great. Then how about Australia, it'll be fall weather in April but in the NE. it's very nice. There are some nice liveaboards out of Port Douglas, anything north of Lizard Island is nice.

I've been on the Cayman Agg. and been in T&C and watched T&C Agg. most of the week while we dove land based with Fifi. Since you are trying to not repeat these areas then there's Belize or Wind Dancer near off the Grenadines area. How about St. Vincent, St. Lucia or Dominica? Don't the whales come close to Dominica in the spring?

Cocos ran about 75degrees on the surface with thermoclines in the mid-60s. I wore a 5mm and was fine the whole trip. The wife wore her 7mm and was comfortable.

Now it will sound like I'm being difficult, buuuuttt we are going to dive with Mike Ball in Australia in Jan 08 (yes we are plan ahead).

Right now Tahiti Aggressor, Cayman Aggressor, are leading. Dominica sounds interesting anyone been recently?

Back
Top Bottom