Question on securing checked bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSK

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have not flown since 9/11 and haven't been on a dive trip since Bonaire several years ago. It looks like I will be going to the Channel Islands (california) next may to chaperone a school trip.

Is it permissable to zip tie or padlcock the zippers of a bag together to discourage theft? I did that pre-9/11 but wasn;t sure if that was a problem now.

any problem.

I personally don't do it but my dive buddy puts electrical ties or combo locks on all her bags zippers. She had to undo a couple of zippers when going thru customs here recently but for a domestic flight she didn't have to, at least for check in luggage.

Zip ties are no problem. I understand hard locks may be cut off for inspection.

I use small combination locks. The one i use have three digits and are easy to take off and replace if asked. You set your own three digit combo. I got them at Target but you could probably get them at any good variety store or hardware.

They only keep honest people, honest, but it's better than nothing. They are about the size of a small pocket knife

Just don't forget the combo!:wink:

Just don't lock things until you are handing them over at the check in counter. My husband's bags have been searched each trip, but they just waive me right on up to the ticket counter. I'm hoping that's the way it is on our upcoming trip :))

We use a "real" lock on one section of the bag with the BC and other dive stuff, and then use tie-wraps on the rest (those multi-zippered bags give a lot of space to pack little things). We've flown a few times with our gear, twice international, and not had a problem with this set up.

Margaret
Counting down til we travel to Saba: 5 days

We use wire ties, too. I slip them on as soon as the bag is "accepted" by the check-in agent. If you put them on before and they ask you to open your bag, you probably will not have the correct tool on hand--or will have it confiscated, if you do.

The larger A/P's seem to have x-ray machines now and having to open checked bags is happening less frequently.

As regards security: those locks and wire ties serve only one purpose: they keep the bag from coming open during handling. At determined thief will cut either with ease.

Scorpionfish

Thanks for the info.

I know they don't really do much to keep things safe, but if my bag is sitting there with every zipper secured and another is sitting there unsecured, maybe they'll go for the easier pickings

I've never lost or had anything from luggage, but there's always a first time and this time it won't be just my gear, but some of my daughters as well.

We like to use keychain rings (sometimes called split rings, I think) through zipper eyeholes. No combination to forget or keys to lose. Takes a few seconds of threading on or off, and you have to pay attention to it, so it keeps baggage handlers from having a quick looksee at what you have in your bag!

Chris

Chris - your suggestion re key rings is absolutely inspiring for its simplicity and its elegance. Put yourself in for a raise out of petty cash!

Allen

Back
Top Bottom