Vacation worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masonak1298

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have vacation on june 17 to the 23 and August 5 to the 11. What island should I go to and what about Hurricane season? HELP ME

In August, go to Bonaire, it's under the hurricane belt and you won't have to worry about it. For June, you can pretty much pick and choose as the risk of hurricane is nearly zero.

With hurricane prediction, it's strictly a roll of the dice. This summer and fall, for example, was predicted to be "one of the worst" in terms of number and severity. While much of this "gloom and doom" forecasting came in the wake of the previous season's aftermath (Katrina, Rita, and Wilma stand out, of course), it was reinforced by respected meteorological sources.
However, notice that those predictions were way off. This last season has been unusually quiet with fewer storms and almost no landfalls of consequence on the eastern seaboard. That is not to say that some of the islands haven't been hit, but even there the damage was far below the anticipated.
So that doesn't help you in making plans for next year. What DiveMaven said is probably your best bet. Stay farther south and you stand a better chance of getting below the hurricane lanes. Hope all goes well for your trip!

Agree with DiveMaven
Look at Aruba and Curaceo as well, Bonaire is only for diving, the other Islands have more for the non diver.

Go North young man! Brockville, Ontario has water in the 70's or so I've heard. Tobermory, Ontario is a great place to dive as well and late August temps can be in the mid 60's down to 60 feet. The prices there are great too.
Ber :lilbunny:

Barbados is under the belt as well.....has shore and boat diving too. Lots to do above the water. Pm me is you want more info.

masonak1298:
I have vacation on june 17 to the 23 and August 5 to the 11. What island should I go to and what about Hurricane season? HELP ME

That's a pretty broad question, and it would help if you give some guidance as to what area of the world and type of diving you'd be interested in. Were you meaning which Carribean island?

Ber Rabbit:
Go North young man! Brockville, Ontario has water in the 70's or so I've heard. Tobermory, Ontario is a great place to dive as well and late August temps can be in the mid 60's down to 60 feet. The prices there are great too.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'd vote for that!

The entire St. Lawrence river is covered in wrecks and in the summer, you can dive it in a 3mm wetsuit and be toasty.

Tobermory is a few degrees behind, but the water is beautiful.

Terry

masonak1298:

In June stay away from the Western Caribbean / Central America. June can get nasty for Central America. Even if there are no hurricanes, the storms can get pretty bad.

First half of August is a roll of the dice. It is still not the peak of Hurricane season, but if you went anywhere in the Eastern Caribbean from The Bahamas to most of the North Leeward Islands you would be taking a chance.

Like others have said, in August go to the Southern Caribbean Islands.

TOM

masonak1298:

1. Plan to go to which ever island suits your fancy.
2. Then either get refundable tickets or hurricaine cancellation insurance.
3. Finally, have alternate plans, i.e., if the hurricaine ruins your original plans then go diving in Key largo instead!

We did a last minute trip to Key largo last summer during hurricaine season. It was wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom