Differences between commuter and jet aviation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This has been a topic that's always interested me. Pick any country with that's the home of a major jet airline that has a separate domestic carrier (example: Fiji with Air Pacific as their jet carrier and Air Fiji as the main domestic/ regional airline). Would the jet company and the rubberband-airplane company have the same standards for maintenance and safety standards as the jet company. Are the prop planes inspected as thoroughly after every flight, and are the pilots as qualified? Could something small and turboprop-driven like a de Havilland Twin Otter really be as safe and stable in flight as a Boeing 747? So far, my flights have all been confined to jets, but that may not be the case in the future. Imput from people who know planes, fly planes, or just fly in planes is welcome.
-Mantasscareme

Sounds like you are interested more in carriers other that US. I have little to no knowledge of foreign carrier regs. I do know that foreign carriers flying into the states must meet FAA standards. I have found over the years that many have misconceptions about the safety of an aircraft just for the fact that they are smaller and have props. Their safety record has proven comparable to the "big boys".

As for the DHC-6, yes it can be and is a very safe platform when operated and maintained properly. Quite a well-built a/c. BTW, the rubber bands you refer to are actually Pratt and Whitney PT6 turboprops.

one major confusion amongst passengers is that 'propeller' planes are less safe. What most people don't know is that they are powered by turbine engines which are very very similar to the engines that are on larger (747 etc) planes.

as far as the twin otter? that is a bulletproof airplane! they are tough as nails. i did fall out of one once, but that is a different story!

Don't forget, a day in the air is significantly safer than a day on the highway!

I have been flying for 7 years and have never had another pilot swerve into my lane or run a stopsign in front of me :)

The most experienced pilots will fly the larger or more expensive aircraft. Flights originating or ending in the US, Japan, Australia, or major European countries work to similar standards. Flights in some other areas do not follow the same maintenance requirements and may substitute lower cost third party equipment when repairs are required. Surface transportation may or may not be safer. We require exec's to take surface transport in some countries, while internal air travel is acceptable in others.

Back
Top Bottom