TSA and liquids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I guess I missed the newbreak, but having just gone through airport security, they now allow liquids in carryon luggage. The bottles/tubes are limited in size to 3 oz, and MUST be packed in quart size or smaller clear ziplock baggie. No limit in quantity, just bag size. If you can fit 'em, it's not too many.

del_mo:
I guess I missed the newbreak, but having just gone through airport security, they now allow liquids in carryon luggage. The bottles/tubes are limited in size to 3 oz, and MUST be packed in quart size or smaller clear ziplock baggie. No limit in quantity, just bag size. If you can fit 'em, it's not too many.
Yeah, I guess you did miss it.

Did you hear the recording: 3-1-1...? Max size per container: 3 ounces; max size for ziplock: 1 quart; max number of bags per passenger: 1. Got the message across well, I thought. :14:

What the heck is a "news break"? Seriously, I have no idea. A break from what? News, I just took for granted, is acquired in its most basic outline through a national newspaper &/or a good regional daily. At a minimum, accepting that there will be gaps, by watching a complete TV news program. Otherwise, you are just walking around without a clue, like a small child or a cat.

agilis:
What the heck is a "news break"? Seriously, I have no idea. A break from what? News, I just took for granted, is acquired in its most basic outline through a national newspaper &/or a good regional daily. At a minimum, accepting that there will be gaps, by watching a complete TV news program. Otherwise, you are just walking around without a clue, like a small child or a cat.

Okay, I meant newsflash. Is that better?

Actually, I was just trying to understand the situation. Sorry if I in any way was discourteous. I was astonished that this issue was news to anyone, particularly with l the lavish coverage of the London ban on all carry ons, and similar extreme reactions here. The complaints from flyers about confiscation of eyedrops, breast milk, sun block, mask defogger, etc, were highly publicized and the TSA compromise of quart sized ziplocks and 3 oz size limits has gotten a lot of repetitive coverage.
Another issue for me is one that I had no business inflicting on anyone else, so again I apologize. I teach young adults, and it's sometimes very depressing to witness their utter ignorance regarding the world in which they live, and their lack of concern about that ignorance. Very, very few read newspapers or books, and most of the 'news' they focus on has to do with entertainers. This is extremely disheartening, especially when you consider that they are allowed to vote and produce children of their own.

In connection with air travel rules, it should be interesting about 7 weeks from now, when people possessing only birth certificates and picture IDs show up in airports expecting to board flights to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, etc.

agilis:
In connection with air travel rules, it should be interesting about 7 weeks from now, when people possessing only birth certificates and picture IDs show up in airports expecting to board flights to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, etc.

The flights won't be the problem, as the air crew won't let them board without passports.

The problem is when they cross into Canada or Mexico by car or on foot. Unless they are warned ahead of time by a sign, or by Canadian or Mexican officials, these folks may find themselves unable to return home :11:

I think the new Passport rules go into effect January 23 only for air travel back to the US. This means that airports will not allow US citizens to fly if they are traveling to international destinations with return tickets dated subsequent to January 22 2007 unless they are carrying a valid passport.
It's still ok to drive or walk into Canada or Mexico without a passport and return to the US the same way using standard picture IDs and other documents. Passports will be required for all border crossings, including ground transportation or even on foot in January 2008.

Having just done a flight one piece of advise:

Be sure You know the rules! I saw medication taken away from one passenger when it should not have been. Fortunately another passenger stepped in with correct information and the medication was returned.

These folks are not responsible for the nonsense. They are just trying to earn a living. So, non-confrontational help has always been welcomed by most of the TSA types I've met.

Flew out of Denver yesterday and had no problems. TSA was even handing out those 1 quart zip locks to passengers for their small fuild bottles. I carried an empty water bottle on the outside of my backpack and then filled it beyond security at a water fountain.

TSA was friendly and just doing their job. Just get there early and follow the security guidlines.

'Slogger

Back
Top Bottom