Looking for great diving AND entertainment for the wives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonance

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a relatively new diver, having only logged 5 dives...all in the Mayan Riviera of the Yucatan. Two of them were cenote dives, and the other open ocean dives. I enjoyed both and considered them pretty fantastic, at least with my small sample size and nothing to compare to besides lots of carribean snorkeling when i was much younger.

Anyhow, I have a friend who is a longtime diver (although it has been a long time since he has been) and we are planning a trip with him, his wife, and my wife and I. I am in the precarious position of trying to find a place that has good (even great) diving for us...but also has a nice "downtown" type area with bars, restaurants, and shopping...preferably within walking distance or at least close by.

I have stayed from everywhere to a bed/breakfast in Turks/Caicos for my honeymoon (before i dove unfortunately) to All Inclusives in Mexico...so we are willing to look into either renting a condo and car or going AI again. If we are going to buy our own food/drinks, a reasonable prices area would be preferable.

Anyhow, I am hoping that some of you all have suggestions of which islands might be desireable for this type of vacation. I've looked into the DR b/c of the cost and many AI's, but the diving seems poor at best. I would appreciate any feedback on which islands offer a good mix of diving and nightlife/shopping...where we can be near both. Also, if you want to recommend specific resorts, areas, or condos I would appreciate it. I like to do alot of research before choosing a destination, especially when you got to please the ladies :wink:

Thanks in advance for your responses...hope to get alot of feedback.

John Stewart
Louisville, KY

On any given island, as availability of topside entertainment increases, quality of diving decreases.

It is in inverse proportion.

At five logged dives, and I do appreciate your own self appraisal, it will likely make little difference in your perception of the dive quality.

Give the lady what she wants. Then plan another dive trip with your diving pals.

Either that, or buy her a snorkel.

Cozumel, Cozumel and Cozumel all fill that bill.

jonance,
welcome to this board.
you will spend lots of time here, searching thru tons & tons of good information.
my wife and i like to travel.
she does not dive.
if i could make a few suggestions:

grande cayman
aruba
florida (keys)
maui
cozumel
roatan
to mention a few.
regards,

Hawaii. Best of both worlds.
BTW, My wife is newly Certified (on her 50th birthday) , now she is planning the next dive vacation!

Dave

Thanks for all the responses...we actually decided on Cozumel...found a condo right on the beach on Chakanaab Reef...can enter right there or boat to others.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom