Carry-on luggage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of mine recently came back from Amsterdam and before his flight was told he couldn't carry on his carry-on bag because it had wheels. Said something about plastic explosives can be shaped to look like wheels. He said they made him check his carry-on bag.
Has anyone flown anywhere the last couple of weeks?
Of course, Jamaica probably isn't as high on the list of terrorist /anti-terrorist activities as Amsterdam is, but I'm going to Negril this Sunday and I'd kinda like to know things like this in advance.
Thanks.

sounds pretty absurd, but so are many things involving airline security these days, just put the plastic explosives in the check in compartment, hello???????

I fly through Schipol a lot, and this has not happened to me. Nor have I heard a hint of it on FlyerTalk.

<shrugs> I am more inclined to believe in the effectiveness of European air security than the TSA, though.

All the best, James

fishoutawater:
Has anyone flown anywhere the last couple of weeks?

Yes. I have.

David, my thoughts exactly.
Thanks guys, I'm not going to sweat it.
They want me to check it, I'll check it.
I just hope to get there before somebody decides cavity searches are in order.

Thanks RoatanMan, you rock!

fishoutawater:
Thanks RoatanMan, you rock!

And you have the right attitude and reasoning here as well.

If it was "a go" yesterday, it might not be today. Whim and whimsy of the gate agent, deciding (or not) to apply security or just plain airline regs... or not.

I bought my Continental tickets here in the US and they allowed two 75# bags. On the way back from the Red Sea, in Heathrow they banged me for overweight as Continental at Heathrow only allows 50#.

There was no further discussion. Corporate answered my first note with a rebuff, now they no longer respond.

Oh well. There is no predicting. Maybe that's the idea. :wink:

I fly every week here in the states and see tons of bags in the overhead that have wheels. Flew through Jamica on my way to Bonaire in Oct. Also saw a ton of wheeled bags

My sister is a captain for a major airlines. They received training in the many ways that explosives could be brought onto a plane. One example was the piping around the edges of the suitcase could be packed with enough explosive to blow a big hole in the plane. Let's face it, if they have the tools, the explosives would probably be undetectable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom