Great white shark encounters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, so I'm one of the crazy guys who actually wants to get up close to a great white shark. Where can I go to do this? I would think there are outfits in NC that would do this sort of thing, but I don't know. Any suggestions?

The Farallons, Guadalupe Island off Baja California, South Africa, Mozambique (for non-caged diving), right here on Catalina Island... if you are REALLY, REALLY LUCKY.

Guadalupe Island off Baja California...the largest of the great whites have been showing up there. Also one of the that got tagged off there winded up being traced to hawaii. Off Hawaii they have been know to show up...see link for video:

http://www.hawaiisharkencounters.com/great_white.asp

Hawaii would be a great spot with the clear and water water there.

You so brave, I never thing on it.

They are incredibly beautiful and graceful animals for being so large... and having such big teeth! Loved my cage dives with them at Guadalupew. Have been diving Catalina for 38 years now and have yet to see a great white underwater here (just topside).

I just think it would truly be the experience of a lifetime, coming face to face with the greatest predator in the ocean. Greatest predator, period. There's just something about them that makes me want to experience them up close....

Dr. Bill is spot -on about Guadaloupe. The North Carolina ops take you to the sand tigers. Great white encounters along the southeastern coast are coincidental and usually occur when guys are spearing. I dived with a guy from Jax who was spearing with his kid in 110' of murky water and had shot three amberjack when a great white ambled into view.
They left the fish on the bottom and headed up. In the middle of the water column, the great white came by for another look so the guy had to poke him one in the snout. That ended that.
Talk about a pucker factor...

They just had a recent siting of a great white in the Gulf off Florida. Here's the link:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/26/Gulfandbay/A_great_white_lurking.shtml

During the winter months they have been known to past thru Florida, especially the Keys. What's interesting is the local fisherman usually hook two of them a year, but I guess they don't have the large enough boats to bring them in, so they let them go.

The tourist industry does not want that fact to get out because it would "freak out" the water sports recreation industry and cause a panic.

That would be neat to see a great white in Florida waters. You think some other aquarium would take at run a displaying one again, given the popularity and attendance the Monterey Aquarium enjoyed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom