How much does your dive gear weigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to do a test run this weekend on packing for a Cozumel trip. (9 days) In April. Just wondering how much a set of gear weighs. (Ball park figure)

Lets say everything in a size large(3 M wetsuit, BCD, Mask Fins and snorkel,boots, small knife, SMB, Primary w/4 C's and BU lights, mesh dufflel, ) Approx how much will this weigh?

Camera, regs and comp. will be in carryon.

Hoping to get everything in one checked bag/pp and one carryon/pp. My SO has agreed to take only 2 pair of shoes.:D So I hope that will really help. Can it be done with only one carryon and one checked piece/each?

Are the weights at Blue Angel on the boat or do you get them at the dive shop? Wondering whethter to carry the weight bag. How bout weights for a cenote trip? Where do you get them?

Same size and nearly same config as you, 40# including the rolling duffel it's packed in. Didn't have a primary light your size. Forget the knife, they don't want you carrying them anyway. I had a set of shears. Main bag weighed 50# on the dot when packed with extra clothes.
Weights were on the boat when Blue Angel goes out, you don't need a weight bag. I have not done a cenote, but I can't imagine there not being weights on the other side, no one wants to pack all that weight along.

underachiever:
Cozumel trip. .....set of gear weighs. (Ball park figure)

Lets say everything in a size large(3 M wetsuit, BCD, Mask Fins and snorkel,boots, small knife, SMB, Primary w/4 C's and BU lights, mesh dufflel, ) Approx how much will this weigh?
My wife and I combine the following into a rollable duffle: 3 mm suit, 5 mm suit, 1 mask in case, 2 pr gloves, 1 pr booties, 2 pr fins, 2 snorkels, 2 sausages, 2 small slates, 2 shears, 2 BCs and 2 mesh boat bags. Total weight is 49 lbs, except at the Cozumel airport where it weighed in at 53 lbs. Always weighs 49 lbs at home, and has been that way at numerous other airports. My wife's gear weighs 4-5 lbs less than mine because mine is the 5 mm suit, my fins are 40% heavier and my BC is signficantly heavier, too. All lights/batteries in the carry-on with regs; small knife in shared suitcase with clothes. Carry-on is a small suitcase and weighs a lot because of regs, small camera, binoculars, bird and fish ID books, plus novels, etc.

Just got back from Coz a few weeks ago. My gear was 32# and the hardshell suitcase is 14# so I was just under the wire.
On the way back I was told by the Continental staff in Coz that I was allowed 70# in a bag as long as there was only scuba equipment in the bag. So you may want to check with your carrier.

As far as weights I believe you'll find that most ops keep the weights on the boat. I don't know how the cenotes handle it.

I bought a cheap digital bathroom scale at Wally's and put 50# of lead weights on it to check the accuracy. It came out 50.2#. That's close enough for me.

Did a test run last night for our upcoming trip. Got the wife to pre pack also. Dive bag came in at 46 lbs. So we are planning on a carryon each and a checked each. For 9 days. She is only taking one pair of shoes and her crocs. I am so proud of her.

We may pull a Dandy Don and purchase a coffe pot in Cozumel. Figure it will pay for itself. And donate it to the maid or similar.

Now I have to unpack for the whirlwind trip to the Keys this weekend. Need some practice before we go to Coz. Plan on doing Conch Reef and the Eagle.

went 2 weeks ago & remember the weight(just my stuff, wife did not want to go on this 'short dive only' trip)....40# on the checked in suitcase(dive gear & clothes) & 27# on my carry on, UW camera in a Pelican all by itself(don't need to weight it- it's a camera, lol)....took almost the exact same equipment as you're planning to take.....BTW, on the way back, the suitcase jumped to 45#(& they were watching that weight)........good luck........

Just went to Coz on Alaska Air out of Los Angeles. On the way down my bag was 49 lbs on the way back it was 62 pounds. They started to give me a spiel on how I wanted to pay the 25 bux for the extra 12 pounds when the lady behind the counter asked if it was dive gear. When I said it was she said no problem with the weight and away I went, it was too sweet to not get shafted by the airlines for once.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom