Diving in Tulum, Mexico - Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJM1631

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone give some recommendations for diving outfits in Tulum, Mexico. I'm going on a "family" vacation so the resort does not have a dive shop on site (very tragic).

Anyway looking for some recommendations.

Thanks,

John

A lot of people have recommended Dennis Weeks at Diablo Divers. I haven't met him, but I've corresponded with him, and he was very pleasant. One of the guys at my LDS did his cavern with Dennis, and has great things to say about him.

I went with umm, Cenotes divers? Im sure I spelled it wrong and Im not real sure of the name either. If you find a yellow C8 in temple of doom, it's mine! It's very OK. The guy DM was the typical 100 dive DM, the girl we dove with, forgot her name was fantastic! It was worth doing but prolly not more than a couple of dives...
OK the wife just told me it was cenotedive.com....And I did spelled it right! Think about the ferry to Coz and dive there too. Props to sea Urchin divers in Coz. Had a great time with them.

TSandM:
A lot of people have recommended Dennis Weeks at Diablo Divers. I haven't met him, but I've corresponded with him, and he was very pleasant. One of the guys at my LDS did his cavern with Dennis, and has great things to say about him.
Yeah Dennis is a good guy. I haven't dove with him but I met him on my last trip down there and he was running a group from Canada on dry caving tour. They were having a blast. We were at the same hotel in Playa.

I was warned before we went down there that some of the guides don't follow the safety protocols. Others who had been reported seeing groups going in without a continuous line to open water, and guides without primary lights. That's one of the reasons I mentioned Dennis, because he has a reputation for being careful and safe.

Since it's a family trip, Hidden Worlds might be a nice option. You could book yourself on a 2 tank cenote dive - Dos Ojos and Bat Cave (see if you can get Jeff as your guide, but make sure it's Jeff who's originally from Texas). The rest of the group could do a snorkel tour, which are done at different cenotes on the Hidden Worlds property, or try one of their new attractions - Zipline or the Skycycle.

Unless of course you are looking for some time off on your own, then get your own guide and leave the family at the resort.

I've done Hidden Worlds and they were good for our first time. I've also been with guides and enjoyed the guided dives we did with Dennis best. If he's not available I'm sure he would recommend someone else for you.

Can't tell you about diving off of Tulum, we always go to Cozumel but we did the cenotes dives at Dos Ojos and Bat Cave and they were excellent. Here is a link to where we dived http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/cavern.html. You need to be careful because there are two dive sites that use the name Dos Ojos and I was told that Hidden Worlds is the place you want to go.

Try contacting Min.

utilaminmin@yahoo.com

She is a cave instructor in Tulum. She can give you any information that you may be looking for regarding Tulum. She is still a member our dive club but has been in Tulum for some time now.

Good luck and have a great trip!

hammerhead man:
Can't tell you about diving off of Tulum, we always go to Cozumel but we did the cenotes dives at Dos Ojos and Bat Cave and they were excellent. Here is a link to where we dived http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/cavern.html. You need to be careful because there are two dive sites that use the name Dos Ojos and I was told that Hidden Worlds is the place you want to go.

Hidden Worlds has their own private enterance, but it's the same cave system. In fact, if you go with a private guide you will have a nicer enterance point. Instead of climbing down the metal ladder into the hole to the Bat Cave platform lighted area, you actually enter in an open cenote. Private guides taking divers on a cavern tour will tend to surface in the Bat Cave right beside the HW platform area so divers can see the bats. You'll also pass HW groups on the dive. Same system, just different entry points.

Back
Top Bottom