Puerto Galera/Phuket/Ko Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone been to these places? Suggestions for good hotels/dive packages? Thoughts about these dive spots?
Thanks!

In Puerto Galera, we have been there twice.

We could find no reason to wander off and look around, but the Hotel Atlantis came out tops for us even after we did. Not that it was all that expensive, but I am sure there are cheaper ways to do it, but not so much that it would have tempted us away.

Truly outstanding restaurant, house staff, and the grounds were tranquil and as if you were living around a waterfall.

The dive op more than met our expectations- and then some. The DM's quickly evaluated us and let us dive to our own plan~ we did 1:45 bt night dives.

Take a look at my pix in the sig line as well as on SB Albums.

We would return... and will.

Phuket can be a bit crowded. Phi Phi is an island holiday, with everything squashed onto Phi Phi Don. Get the best of both worlds and go Ao Nang, Krabi. There you can dive Phi Phi and the Shark Point reserve which is one of the prime destinations of Phuket dive centres. Ao Nang also has its own local island diving. The scenery is more beautiful, the beaches less crowded, I wish I had found it before going to Phuket! Manta Point Ao Nang dive centre is great.
www.mantapoint-aonang.com

I have been to Sabang (Puerto Galera) and it was great. I had a wonderful time. The flight from the United States to Manila was very long of course. Then we took a bus and a boat to get to the actual location. This took about four or five hours. Sabang so is quite small. It does not have a nice beach but there is water and it is pleasant enough. The dive sites are very close, between five and 15 minutes from shore. This was excellent because you could decide at 945 that you wanted to go diving and just go.

I was planning to go back in December and I still may but air fares have gone up so much in the last week Thailand is now $700 cheaper than the Philippines for me to get to. I don't really understand this because I live on the East Coast, but that's what prices are right now. I am concerned that after the Philippines, I'm going to hate driving in Thailand. I get an impression that virtually all dive sites are quite far from shore you have to take a boat all day to get there. I would be keen to hear what people think.

Back
Top Bottom