First dive trip, what are the commonly forgotten items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theITdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In 2 weeks I am heading out on my first dive trip. I'll be heading to North Carolina for 3 days of wreck diving with Olympus dive Center. I'll be driving down with others from my LDS and we are staying at the Olympus bunk house. I am looking for any advice about the most commonly forgotten items on dive trips (scuba related or just other stuff) and any specific advice anyone has when diving with Olympus. I have only heard great things about this operation so I am very excited.

Thanks!

Don't agonize over this right now, just think as much as you can and pack accordingly.

Just like the usefulness of a log book, start your career process by making and keeping a list. Modify it as you go. You'll develop a couple of different ones, some for local, long distance car trips, multi-day and also out of country trips.

I see that the website that Olympus provides shows a list of "bring along" items that is sparse, at best. You'll noodle it out.

North Carolina wreck descriptions? See http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/

Know that likely what you do not bring, someone else will have along. Things like o-ring grease and basic tools are fairly universal, but if you have need for any special batteries, you should always carry a spare (whether you've recently swapped them out- or not!)

By the time you are ready to go wreck diving in Outer Rorarappa-Tonka, you'll have your list well worked out.

With 2 weeks out you are on the right track.

I cant speak to any common forgotten items but do a mock packing well in advance. Make a detailed list and balance the weights of your cases. That will make it easy to reconstruct things at departure in each direction. Once you have all of that done a week before leaving home any missing items will come to mind and you can adjust things. This will take a ton of stress out of those last few days.

Allow some weight for returning souvenirs and dampness. Alternately bring some expendable clothing that you can leave behind.

Stuff is one thing but information is also valuable. You will of course have your C-card and log but bring contact info and all that sort of stuff on paper or in some electronic form if you will have access.

More than once I have forgotten to throw a towel in the van.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom