Palau, Saipan or Hawaii in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamiette

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,
I haven't dived since Puerto Galera in 2006 (!!!) and am dying for another week/10 days of pure diving some time in September. I am an "average" experienced diver (advanced OW + Nitrox but only have 30 dives logged) and will be with a novice diver.

Any recommendations for not too difficult dives which offer a good variety of coral and species to see - big and small and colorful - would be much appreciated. Manta Rays would be a BIG plus. I was looking at Palau and Yap but September seems to be the rainy/typhoon season. How about Saipan & Hawaii/Kona?

Thank you!

IMO, you have a greater chance of getting a direct hit by a typhoon at that time of the year in the Marianas (Guam, Saipan), than you do in the Carolines (Palau, Yap). Go for the Palau/Yap Itinerary, but also closely monitor the Guam NWS Typhoon Website as well. . .

IMO, you have a greater chance of getting a direct hit by a typhoon at that time of the year in the Marianas (Guam, Saipan), than you do in the Carolines (Palau, Yap). Go for the Palau/Yap Itinerary, but also closely monitor the Guam NWS Typhoon Website as well. . .

Thank you very much for the advice!

Here's some video of mantas in Kona....it was a particularly good night. Kona's mostly hard corals, lots of fish species but not as many as Palau.

September and October generally have optimum conditions in Kona as far as water clarity and warmth.

Thank you very much for this amazing footage Steve! I will definitely contact you if we decide to come to Hawaii!

So does this mean Guam during September is a big No No!! ....:confused:

Kona Hawaii would be perfect. Diving is easy, lots of topside activities, too. Maui would be good too but they don't have the night manta thing (although when we were there 2 yrs ago we didn't have any on our night manta dive! :shakehead: )

Especially diving with a novice, I would wait on the Palau trip. Palau could be quite overwhelming and with the cost, it would be much better after more dives and going during peak season there (Dec-Apr).

I've been to all 3. Palau without a doubt. Especially near a full moon or half moon, you have to visit the blue corner.

We looked at a side trip to Saipan but did not get a reply from the english speaking shops. It is my understanding that Saipan is very heavily visiting by Japanese tourists which is fine but may not be what you are looking for.

Right now, the weather in guam is nice and hot. Not too much turbulence. I am going to saipan again this weekend. If your'e debating, go to Palau. I've been to Palau and I'm sure the diving in Kona might compare to Palau but the experience of Palau is one that you'll never forget. Jellyfish lake, Kayaking, Diving blue corner. It's just spectacular. You can go to my website and see some of the pictures from Palau. www.weitodive.com Check out Sam's Tours in Palau and you won't be disappointed. If you get a chance to stop in Guam, give me a shout. If I can, I'll take you out to Gab Gab 2 and let you feed some Trevalis.

Saipan is a good place if you know people there. If you know people, then diving isn't too expensive to do shore dives. Boats will cost you 100+ for a 2 tank. The sites aren't nearly as spectacular as Palau. I'm goign back to Saipan only cause of friends and casue it is cheaper to fly and stay in Saipan.

Back
Top Bottom