Planning a surprise mid-February trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LovetoFloat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

My wife's 40th birthday is in February. I would like to take her somewhere laid back where we can snorkel from the beach. I've been surfing the net to get ideas and have also visited the bookstores to check out the visitors guides, e.g., Frommer's.

I think I have narrowed it down to 4 possible places.
1. Antigua
2. Bonaire
3. Grenadines
4. St. Croix

Someone also mentioned St. Lucia, although I have not seen it recommended as a place to snorkel.

We are very low maintenance folks (we spend our summers in Cape May, NJ) and are not into the nightlife/bar/party scene. I am looking for somewhere quiet and romantic. We like hanging out in our shorts and flip flops. Nothing fancy.

We do own our own wetsuits. We travel to the southern Florida Keys (Cudjoe), so we invested in our own suits.

All and any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd like to get my arrangements finalized in the next week or two. We live in Eastern PA (if that makes a difference).

Thanks,
Dan.

My wife and I enjoyed Christianstad in St. Croix. We stayed at Hotel on the Caye - rooms are ok, the sand on the beach is a tad rough and the housekeeping staff could have been friendlier ...

There is a bar/restaurant on the beach, and they sometimes play the music louder than we liked, but overall it was fine.

There is decent snorkeling just off the Caye, you'll snorkel along the entry to the harbor.

We enjoyed being a bit "outside" town, while being a 2 minute boat ride from the restaurants and such.

All that said, we will probably try another hotel outside town next time.

Henrik

Bonaire will meet all your needs! Reefs are right up to the shore (starting in as little as 10-20' deep) and at most resorts there are stairs to walk right down into water and back out. Lots of dive/snorkel sites are easy entry, just walk right out into water from your rental vehicle parked on the shore. You can't beat it!
go to this website: Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
and The Bonaire WebCams - Welcome!

robin:D

Robin:

The more I read the more I'm sold on Bonaire. Am looking at Sand Dollar, Eden Beach, Den Laman, and Divi? Any suggestions?

By the way, we were in NM (Alberquque & Taos) in April. Loved it!

Robin:

The more I read the more I'm sold on Bonaire. Am looking at Sand Dollar, Eden Beach, Den Laman, and Divi? Any suggestions?

By the way, we were in NM (Alberquque & Taos) in April. Loved it!

We are both divers and stayed at Buddy's. We absolutely loved it. If you are only snorkeling, then I don't think it matters as much where you stay as you aren't lugging heavy gear back and forth. I would be that Den Laman might be a good choice, Eden Beach. Sand Dollar would most likely be the same price as Buddy's and Divi.

Check out my Bonaire videos: Robin Tackett's Bonaire album on Vimeo
Also, be sure to buy the Shore Diving Made Easy booklet. It tells about each dive/snorkeling site and is full of great info.

Glad you enjoyed NM. We love it here - inexpensive, mountains and desert, sunny every day and clean air. :D

robin:D

Hi Dan!

Bonaire is a great choice! All of the places you mentioned are great, but a few things about the water. The current at Eden can at times be very strong, as it is one of the narrowest points between Bonaire and the small island off our lovely island, Klein Bonaire. On the other hand, I think it has the best beach, IMHO. Divi is also great as you can walk to town, the snorkeling is great also right off the small beaches there. Sand Dollar is a little north of Eden, doesn't really have a beach, but excellent snorkeling. It is also a "condo" type place. Den Laman is between Eden and Sand Dollar is the newest place, small, but beautiful. The snorkeling off their dock is also great.

Whatever choice you make, I am sure you will love it!

Liz

Old Providence is probable one the most romantic Caribbean Islands I have every been to. A small mountainous island with 4 beaches, usually you will have the beach all to yourself. Although Feb is high season you may have to share. There is snorkeling at 2 of the beaches and on a a couple of small cays surrounding Providence Island, which are accessible by boat or kayak. Small cabana type resorts, a small population and islanders that treat there guest as family are some of the things that give it its romantic charm.
ciao
tad

Folks:

Thanks for all your advice.
I have been burning up the web, email, and telephone for the past two days.

I've spoken to Eden, Sand Dollar, Den Laman, Buddy Dive, and Divi.

The Divi folks gave me a rate for a Deluxe w/breakfast and transfers that I just cannot pass up! They are $500-$700 less than what anyone else has quoted me.

Haven't booked it yet, but am planning to pull the trigger by tomorrow (Friday).

Please continue to send me your suggestions.

Dan.

that sounds awesome! You will LOVE Bonaire.:D:D

Suggestions on great snorkeling sites: Andrea I and II (up north) and Oil Slick Leap (up north). Andrea II is where we had the encounter with over a dozen squid for 10+ minutes right near the surface (depth was maybe 5' at most at times). They even followed us out of the water with one guy coming right up into 1' deep water as we got out. They were so curious about us. It was soooooo cool. One of my favorite dives EVER! I have never had an experience like that. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom