TSA and the transmitter, a short travel story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HatchetJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend just flew down to T&C for a few days. As always he carried his regs onboard. At the security check he drops his bag on the conveyor and walks thru the metal detector, no problem, he gets to other side and two TSA guys detain him and ask to inspect his carry-on. To make this long story short they thought his SUUNTO transmitter on his first stage looked like some sort of explosive, after wrangling and finally seeing a upervisor he caught the next plane. Anyone have any similar experiences? Should the transmitters of AI computers be checked in? this does not sound appealing. I will get the whole story when he gets back all I have now is a quick email.

A friend just flew down to T&C for a few days. As always he carried his regs onboard. At the security check he drops his bag on the conveyor and walks thru the metal detector, no problem, he gets to other side and two TSA guys detain him and ask to inspect his carry-on. To make this long story short they thought his SUUNTO transmitter on his first stage looked like some sort of explosive, after wrangling and finally seeing a upervisor he caught the next plane. Anyone have any similar experiences? Should the transmitters of AI computers be checked in? this does not sound appealing. I will get the whole story when he gets back all I have now is a quick email.

Travel is becoming increasingly more difficult with every passing day. One of the biggest problems that I know of, is the absolute lack of consistent standards. It does not matter which city in the USA or Canada you fly out of, it seems each city and each agent has different standards (I have had a stick of deodorant taken while the guy in the next line (my coworker) did not). Although this just adds to the frustration level, we as divers need to compensate. I personally am flagged every time I travel to dive because of my camera equipment. I carry it all on and if they ever STOP me from taking it on, then I would send it home (or find a way to check it at that late point) and take another flight. Until that time, I am going to continue as I am and hope that each time I cross security, I get a diver for an agent and be prepared to answer some good and some stupid questions.

They are only doing it to keep terrorist on their toes . . .

I have had tsa question me about mine on my last trip but it was no big deal. Once I explained how everything work and powered on my wrist computer it was no big deal.

I can understand TSA flagging the transmitter. Small compacted device, battery, few wires leading to a solid object (pressure transducer). Try walking through with a can light and wait for the reception on the other side :D

That said carrying instruction manuals, mfg photos, etc. go along ways.

That said carrying instruction manuals, mfg photos, etc. go along ways.

As obvious as this seems, it never occurred to me to carry an instruction manual.

Not that a terrorist couldn't whip one up on a PC/Mac anytime they wanted to...

They are only doing it to keep terrorist on their toes . . .

Oh give me a break, they don't need to be total A holes to do it. Wait until they bend you over backwards, see if you have the same opinion.

I find most people that have issues with the TSA talk to much. Most TSA agents don't have a clue about our gear. I always carry on regs and tons of camera gear. When they ask you questions, only answer what they ask with the least amount of detail possible. IE "What is this" answer "Scuba Gear", don't say transmitter, or pressure, or any other details. Only give details if they ask specific questions. They always unpack my bag and swab it for explosives and send me on my way.

When you start using the words "Pressure" and "Transmitter" those are key words which will bring MORE attention to you.

NEver any problems with our regs and 2 canister lights. It's pretty obvious they are flashlights. Swab and go. Last time through Miami we didn't even get a swab or a visual inspection. Seems like they are becoming more familiar with dive gear and technical stuff too.

I agree about not talking too much. Keep it to "scuba gear" and "underwater flashlight".

TSA is like every other enforcement agency, they have good screeners, ones on power trips and complete butt munches. The screening equipment varies by airport but all have at least an ETD machine so a simple test of the suspect item is resolved quickly. Hopefully you get the good ones. Keep your replies simple and short. If the screener is unfamiliar with dive gear ask if they have one who is or ask for a supervisor. Good idea about having a manual too.

In the 3 years I worked for them I never had an issue with dive gear. I would recommend that any item that even remotely resembles an IED ( light packs, hose less transmitters, ect ) be placed in checked baggage not carry on.

I carry one bag. It almost always includes a cell phone, GPS, Palm Pilot, digital camera. an iPod and a flashlight. On dive trips it includes the camera housing, 1 or 2 regulator rigs and a handheld VHG radio. I was questioned only once by a TSA agent who wanted to make sure there was no knife on the rig. And once by one who wanted to talk diving equipment.

My problem, if you can call it that, is when they don't ask to look in the bag. With that collection, they should look. I have been assured that the screeners are experienced enough to know what all of my toys are. I'd rather they take a quick look in everyone's bag when the picture shows as much electronics as I have.

And, if the screening makes one late for a flight, one has not arrived early enough or one has created a VERY bad situation with a bad attitude.

BTW: Only two places I've ever been decline to accept my c-card as "photo ID." One is TSA. The other is my LDS, who knows what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom