Need suggestions for a trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm starting to look at options for a get-away about a year from now. I've never travelled much of anywhere, or paid much attention to the options, so I have less than no idea what's available for destinations other than the really big name places you constantly hear about. I'm going to start by leaving this very much in your hands to throw out suggestions, just so I can see what exists, but I do have a few prerequisites. Western hemisphere is the first one, for cost reasons as well as ease of travel. Cost can't be too high as I'm hoping to drag along a few of my "typical" college-student friends who can hardly afford beer and pizza without planning ahead.

Not everyone who's going are divers, so there needs to be some semblance of amusement above the surface to keep them entertained. Most likely a beach and access to drinks will be enough for them :wink: Like I said, I want to keep it cheap, being at a specific dive resort doesn't matter in the slightest, as long as there's easy access to reputable shops for rentals and fills.

I was looking at Utila a few years ago, but I'm not set on that in any way, and getting there seems kind of expensive. One of the things I liked about Utila though was that there was access to rent apartments by the week for pretty cheap, and in my eyes cramming 12 friends into a 2 bedroom apartment beats cramming 12 friends into 2 hotel roms :eyebrow:

So lay ideas on me, I'll be glad just to see what's out there. If you have a rough idea of cost, both for divers and non-divers it'd help quite a lot too!

Last Minute to the Mayan....while not the best vacation ever, it gives lots to do both above and beneath the surface. We stayed at The Grand Sirenis in January for 1 week and spent $927 ALL IN from Toronto. This was a 5* resort that cost us not much more than many 3* and 4* resorts were charging.

So, for what you described, that is my reccomendation.

Since not everyone will be diving - I would suggest somewhere in Mexico - Cancun or Cozumel.

Price is about as good as you are going to get and there is non-diving activities ( BOOZE)

I have not been to Cabo so I don't know if that would fit the bill. It's closer for you.

We'll actually be flying out of Montana, so I'm not too worried about "close" because any flights are going to be kind of steep. I'm just stationed in SoCal, we're planning a trip when I get back from my next deployment. I forgot to mention we're looking about 7-10 days. Coz was one of my first thoughts since it's such a big name, but while I was deployed last time all my friends spent some time in Cancun and I think I'll have a hard time talking them into Mexico again, they had some trouble with the locals haha.

Cozumel. Cozumel. Cozumel. Nuff said.

We'll actually be flying out of Montana, so I'm not too worried about "close" because any flights are going to be kind of steep. I'm just stationed in SoCal, we're planning a trip when I get back from my next deployment. I forgot to mention we're looking about 7-10 days. Coz was one of my first thoughts since it's such a big name, but while I was deployed last time all my friends spent some time in Cancun and I think I'll have a hard time talking them into Mexico again, they had some trouble with the locals haha.

I would think about Hawaii, maybe Maui or Kona. They have condos and rental cars, buy food and cook for yourself. Lots of entertainment and night life for the non-divers.
Cozumel would be okay if you want to do some of the smaller hotels, but any of the larger ones aren't going to let you cram a dozen buddies into a couple of rooms.

Hawaii was pretty expensive last I checked, which admittedly hasn't been a while. Splitting a condo may help cut the costs, but last time I was there it was definitely nothing that would've been in my price range without traveling with the family :D

Coz looks good, except $1700 airfare! OUCH!

Hawaii was pretty expensive last I checked, which admittedly hasn't been a while. Splitting a condo may help cut the costs, but last time I was there it was definitely nothing that would've been in my price range without traveling with the family :D

Coz looks good, except $1700 airfare! OUCH!

I'd look into Oahu again. Air fares will be cheaper to Honolulu than to Maui or Kona (my favorite). You can also find some great deals on condos and hotels if you book in advance. The diving is good and the topside stuff is amazing. There are deals to be had if you look around and are willing to take off-peak flights.

The West End on Roatan would be my recommendation. It's not sanitized like many of the popular resorts there, really has a flavor of adventure to it. Cheap too.

That would work, and way better than a week in Utila for any non-diver.

Still, with air fare as a cost issue, it's gotta be Coz.

Pick smarter friends? Get a rich girlfriend? That's what I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom