Mexico, Dominican, Cuba... where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
My family and I are planning to book an all-inclusive vacation for the beginning of January. We're on a fairly tight budget for this trip, so we're hoping to get as reasonable a price as possible.

My preference would be to hit Cozumel, but it's looking like it will be quite a bit more expensive than some of the other all-inclusive destinations that are available (we'll be doing Cozumel later in the year anyway).

So, my question is... is there good diving at any of the other common all-inclusive resort destinations? If so, where?

The most reasonably priced resorts seem to be in the Dominican Republic. That's followed by Cuba which is followed by Mexico (most expensive).

The difference is substantial. Currently, a 4-star one week all-inclusive in Cozumel starts at about $1300 + taxes. In comparison, a 4-star one week all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) starts at about $700 + taxes.

The rest of my family doesn't dive, but I want to make sure we don't book a holiday where the diving isn't at least good.

So... is there any good diving in the Dominican and Cuba in addition to Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

I don't think Key Largo really has all-inclusive resorts, do they?

Unfortunately, I have to find a resort that has lots of "non-diver" appeal for the rest of my family. That's why it has to be all-inclusive on a beautiful beach.

My family and I are planning to book an all-inclusive vacation for the beginning of January. We're on a fairly tight budget for this trip, so we're hoping to get as reasonable a price as possible.

My preference would be to hit Cozumel, but it's looking like it will be quite a bit more expensive than some of the other all-inclusive destinations that are available (we'll be doing Cozumel later in the year anyway).

So, my question is... is there good diving at any of the other common all-inclusive resort destinations? If so, where?

The most reasonably priced resorts seem to be in the Dominican Republic. That's followed by Cuba which is followed by Mexico (most expensive).

The difference is substantial. Currently, a 4-star one week all-inclusive in Cozumel starts at about $1300 + taxes. In comparison, a 4-star one week all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) starts at about $700 + taxes.

The rest of my family doesn't dive, but I want to make sure we don't book a holiday where the diving isn't at least good.

So... is there any good diving in the Dominican and Cuba in addition to Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Which all-inclusive are you looking at in Cozumel? That seems a bit high. Are you looking at Coz Palace? That is the most high-end place on the island.
Look at what Caradonna has: Cozumel Resorts and Diving Packages for Divers.
Fiesta Americana is around $950
Wyndham is around $1000
Scuba Club is around $850
Park Royal is around $1000
and these are all prices for divers, it would be less for the non-diver
Playa del Carmen also has tons of All-inclusives much less that that price, here is one example:
The Reef Playacar Resort & Spa - Caradonna Dive Adventures

robin:D

Those prices includes airfare from Winnipeg, MB.

The site I use to get all-inclusive prices (including airfare) is SellOffVacations.com.

Yeah... I just took a look, and a round-trip flight from Winnipeg to Cancun is about $600. Add that to say the Playa del Carmen dive package of $939, and I'd be looking at about $1500 plus taxes.

I just took a look again, and it looks like I could get a 4-star resort in Cozumel for $1148 + $328 for taxes. Probably a decent price, but it's hard to book that when 4 star resorts in Cuba or the Dominican are going for $700 plus tax.

Why oh why does everyone need to have an all inclusive. If you really want enjoy yourself forget about the all inclusive. If you really wanted to you could do Coz for around $550 to $600 per person taxes included. This is how. A) watch for skyservice flights on belaire travel's site. From where I live they leave every Saturday. I look for my return flight on a sunday, for some reason it is cheaper. Eight or fifteen days. When you fist start looking the price will be through the roof, but keep coming back. You want those last four or five tickets. I have found them for as low as $79.00 plus tax. Look for flights to Cancun not the island. B) taxi ride from Cancun airport to the ferry in Playa Del Carmine $20.00 C) Ferry ride to the island $8.00 D) You want a cheap room there are plenty of fine hotels for a great price. Trust me you live in Winnipeg, I've been to Winnipeg. The hotel Cozumel is like a palace by Winnipeg's standards. Before you head down there you might want to look up the owner of Pelagic Ventures,you can find him on the net, and a fellow WineyPagan. Actually I don't hold that against him only because he is a top dive operator. As far as food goes stay away from Senior Frogs and those kind of places on the main drag. Worst meal and most expensive one we have ever had there, was at Senior frogs. What was worse they water down the beer. Thought I was drinking Yankee beer. You know as well as I do you don't ever serve watered down beer to a Canadian. E) Alcohol is cheap like water. Go to the super market for your booze. At $12.00 a bottle and that is the expensive stuff, (Appleton Estates)you couldn't drink $50.00 worth of liquor in a week if you wanted to and still be able to dive. Back to the food for a second. The one place you need to go to while you are there is Tony Romes. Remember the name and ask for directions. Trust me on this one it is the one place that I remember by name. The place is quaint, quiet, and comfortable. Tony is a genuinely nice guy. The best part is Fillet Mignon and good beer for like $12 bucks. Anyways the moral of my story is. All inclusives are for the geriatrics of this world, not the adventurist buccaneer. Your wife and kids don't really want to sit around a pool or in a hotel room anyways. They only think they do, because those professional, grossly over embellished pictures look so tempting. Plus take your license, rent a car and see the island. Finally and most importantly one thing everyone needs to remember the Riders rule, and the Bombers bite. That about wraps it up.

Why oh why does everyone need to have an all inclusive. If you really want enjoy yourself forget about the all inclusive. If you really wanted to you could do Coz for around $550 to $600 per person taxes included. This is how. A) watch for skyservice flights on belaire travel's site. From where I live they leave every Saturday. I look for my return flight on a sunday, for some reason it is cheaper. Eight or fifteen days. When you fist start looking the price will be through the roof, but keep coming back. You want those last four or five tickets. I have found them for as low as $79.00 plus tax. Look for flights to Cancun not the island. B) taxi ride from Cancun airport to the ferry in Playa Del Carmine $20.00 C) Ferry ride to the island $8.00 D) You want a cheap room there are plenty of fine hotels for a great price. Trust me you live in Winnipeg, I've been to Winnipeg. The hotel Cozumel is like a palace by Winnipeg's standards. Before you head down there you might want to look up the owner of Pelagic Ventures,you can find him on the net, and a fellow WineyPagan. Actually I don't hold that against him only because he is a top dive operator. As far as food goes stay away from Senior Frogs and those kind of places on the main drag. Worst meal and most expensive one we have ever had there, was at Senior frogs. What was worse they water down the beer. Thought I was drinking Yankee beer. You know as well as I do you don't ever serve watered down beer to a Canadian. E) Alcohol is cheap like water. Go to the super market for your booze. At $12.00 a bottle and that is the expensive stuff, (Appleton Estates)you couldn't drink $50.00 worth of liquor in a week if you wanted to and still be able to dive. Back to the food for a second. The one place you need to go to while you are there is Tony Romes. Remember the name and ask for directions. Trust me on this one it is the one place that I remember by name. The place is quaint, quiet, and comfortable. Tony is a genuinely nice guy. The best part is Fillet Mignon and good beer for like $12 bucks. Anyways the moral of my story is. All inclusives are for the geriatrics of this world, not the adventurist buccaneer. Your wife and kids don't really want to sit around a pool or in a hotel room anyways. They only think they do, because those professional, grossly over embellished pictures look so tempting. Plus take your license, rent a car and see the island. Finally and most importantly one thing everyone needs to remember the Riders rule, and the Bombers bite. That about wraps it up.

Great post, but the answer is little late for the original post. I like your view but I found out not too many people are adventurous. We've traveled a lot, all over the places and never stayed in AI. Many of our friends on the other hand would never ever go for a vacation like that.

I have a coworker who just got back from the west side of Mexico. Real stiff neck kind of guy. He went on an all inclusive. I told him, actually I tell anyone who will listen. Make sure you take time to visit the local markets, and restaurants. After day two he became bored, like I imagine any one would, of being sequestered in a 5 star club fed. He spent the last ten days off the radar and loving it. He put his hiking boots on and headed west, actually I think it was south. When he got home, he told me, had he not done this, he would definitely not ever go back. But since doing so he is considering taking a six month sabbatical and seeing more of the REAL world.
P.S. I realize these posts may be late but they are as much for the next guy/gal who has the same question.

When I was in Dominican Rep 2 times the food at the AI's was tasteless, I mean it was totally tasteless. The resorts were nice and the people were great but the food was terrible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom