Never traveled alone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I'm considering taking a diving trip without the family as they don't dive so I never traveled alone. Whats the deal with hotel rates??? I always see price listed based on double occupancy what does this mean for the single traveler? are there penalties or extra fee or do most hotels just charge you based on double occ. even though you are alone? perhaps it varies in location/destination?

I'm considering Bonair, Belize, Little Cayman, Cozumel, Florida or anywhere else you can suggest to go to get some good diving in. I have 50 or so dives so live-a-boards is not in my blood yet.

Thanks for any and all info.

Typically you can expect approximately a 50% or more premium on the listed rates for a Single Supplement. This means you could pay $1500 for something that was shown as $1000 Dble Occ.. I have personally seen it as low as 30% and as high as 75%. This single supplement fee changes depending on where you are so you will have to look, but I think reather than get too caught up with that, just make sure you are somewhere that will easily place you with a suitable buddy. This is more likely to be done easily on a boat however just make that a top consideration when deciding. Cozumel is a great place for a single diver (I have done this myself) in my opinion.

Bottom line is, you want to make sure you can dive when you get where ever. Once you have some places that can "guarantee" you a dive buddy, then you can search for the deals within the location.

Scuba steve pretty much hit it on the head, if you go to places that require double occupancy you will pay a premium. It can vary depending on time of year, demand for rooms, etc. I refuse to pay or use a service that pairs solo travellers so when I did a solo trip this past spring I went to Hawaii and stayed in a hotel that charges per room and does not require double occupancy. I had to arrange my diving through local shops that would pick me up and drop me off as I was in Waikiki at a great hotel and did not want to be bothered with a rental car. (Everyplace I wanted to go and everything I wanted to do had shuttle pickup, I could walk to, or was accessible through public transportation.) Its not for everyone but it is one option. I did not have any problem getting paired up on the dives. You might find similar situations in parts of Florida.

I met a couple of solo divers when I was in Coz, they seemed to have no problems with buddies and stayed in places that did not charge a premium for solo travel. Don't recall where that was. Might have been renting a condo or doing a timeshare. Check VRBO (vacation rental by owner) websites.

all of my trips have been without the family. when i was at about 50 dives into my diving career, i did my first live aboard and that's the way to go. I think that a live aboard is great because you get the most diving for your money. PLus, once you're at sea, there's no tourist trap to go waste a bunch of money in, or a bar with overpriced drinks. It's eat, sleep, and dive. If I'm going to be away from my family, I want to maximize my time underwater.

I'm considering taking a diving trip without the family as they don't dive so I never traveled alone. Whats the deal with hotel rates??? I always see price listed based on double occupancy what does this mean for the single traveler? are there penalties or extra fee or do most hotels just charge you based on double occ. even though you are alone? perhaps it varies in location/destination?

I'm considering Bonair, Belize, Little Cayman, Cozumel, Florida or anywhere else you can suggest to go to get some good diving in. I have 50 or so dives so live-a-boards is not in my blood yet.

Thanks for any and all info.

Some places may give you a break but for the most part, you are going to pay extra. Some smaller hotels may not charge extra... check out the posting by dvrliz1 down on the Bonaire board. She owns a hotel on Bonaire.

Liveaboards don't penalize you as long as you agree to share a room if the boat is full. We have been on 2 trips on the Nekton and both times there were several singles onboard. Most of them have non-diving spouses so they are "allowed" to go diving one week per year without them. They all told us their best bet was to do the Nekton, that way they can get in the most bang for the buck, doing 4-5 dives per day.

The other option is to join in on a group trip with a dive shop or one advertised here on SB.

SingleDivers.com also is a way to go to avoid single supplements. The guarantee a same sex roomate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom