Traveling with canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't know any specifics, but the best advice i've heard in general is to carry any manuals with you and label the battery with a official looking 'this is a lithium ion battery' (or whatever it is) label. try searching for 'battery +label', because someone had a link to some that could be printed on sticky paper & looked neato.

There are some restrictions on Lithium Ion batteries. Check the airline web site, there should be a reference there. But, for most, probably all but I don't know for sure, lights you can carry on or put in checked luggage, your choice. But, make very sure the battery pack is disconnected. It is bad form to cause a fire in the airplane because your light came on and ignited your luggage contents.

I carried my Dive Rite 10W on a few weeks ago & also did earlier this summer & had no problems. I'd rather not check it & have it slammed around or missing when I get to my destination. I tell security that there is a diving light with a large rechargeable NiMH battery before they X-ray it. I also put in the owner's manual in the carry case so that they can see that it is what I say it is. They usually check it out, & when they see that the lid with the switch is disconnected They have no problems with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just kinda worried about trying to carry it on, and find out they won't let me, and then have no choice but to miss my flight, or lose the light.
The battery pack is home made, so it has quit the "bomb" look to it. And of course I have no manual for it. I don't mind checking it either, I'm just not sure which way TSA preferrs it. I checked there web site, and they mention everything except scuba equipment.

Never had any problems and our carryon bag has 2 canister lights plus all the regs. It's pretty obvious that they are not bombs. TSA has actually had some pretty decent training on the identification of bombs. The canister lights most definitely do not look like bombs especially through x-ray. The swab test confirms this for them if they do have any lingering doubts. But my lights haven't been swabbed this year. Miami seems to be the best airport for them in my experience. They don't even open the bag anymore.

Regardless of where you decide to put your NIMH battery, HID lightheads are safer in carryon. Lithium batteries are the only ones that aren't allowed in carryon or loose in baggage anymore.

Can lights are fragile, so definitely into your carry-on.

Since the bulb costs $100, I would not want to have it shattered or the filament broken.

But the batteries you can stick into a sock and tuck into your checked luggage.

Last edited:
Can lights are fragile, so definitely into your carry-on.

You have obviously bought the wrong light. My can lights have been dropped, banged, etc, and still work just fine.

To the OP, I've flown with my can lights several times. I have yet to have TSA even ask to open the canister. It's the regs they usually swab. I always tell the x-ray person there is dive gear in the bags. I then talk diving with the swab guy.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just kinda worried about trying to carry it on, and find out they won't let me, and then have no choice but to miss my flight, or lose the light.
The battery pack is home made, so it has quit the "bomb" look to it. And of course I have no manual for it. I don't mind checking it either, I'm just not sure which way TSA preferrs it. I checked there web site, and they mention everything except scuba equipment.

First off: Don't be too awfully threatened by those people. They are just trying to do a job, as nonsensicial as the job may be. I just pack my stuff, don't tell them anything unless asked and try to keep all answers in the short and clear category. These folks see all kinds of things in luggage. Most likely they will recognize scuba stuff. If they don't they'll ask.

Any explanations have to be short and clear. I've seen it several times where people start "explaining" what things are only to get themselves set up for more examination. Ask yourself: Which is more suspicious; a person who is anxious to give an explanation, or the person who just goes through the line and doesn't waste time with conversation unless asked?

Most of us just want to get through the line and on our way. That is the same goal as the TSA folks; they just want to do their job, get their money and go home. Very few I've met are cop wanna-be kind of people.

...To the OP, I've flown with my can lights several times. I have yet to have TSA even ask to open the canister. It's the regs they usually swab. I always tell the x-ray person there is dive gear in the bags. I then talk diving with the swab guy.

I keep my canister empty, which I carry on.

And the removable battery for the cannister I stick inside of a sock, and put it into my checked luggage.

I gather from some of the other posts here that not all cannister batteries are removable. Too bad! The modern ones are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom