Shore diving options in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pa diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have miles on US AIR ( ok, stop laughing) and are looking for a good shore diving location in Feb/March...........US AIR does not go to Bonaire or this would be a no brainer. Was hoping to get some input on other Caribbean destinations offering a "bonairish" type of diving. I realize Bonaire is the shore diving cap of the world and we do love it there............but what comes in second or third? Much thanks...........

Liveaboard diving is the only thing that comes close.....:D
you visit several reefs each day which are right beneath the boat, you get in 4-5 dives per day, but you never have to carry your gear anywhere. :D

I have been told that CoCoView Resort in Roatan is the #2 shore diving spot in Caribbean, behind Bonaire. I will let you know what we think in about a month! :D

robin:D

Curacao perhaps.

We have miles on US AIR ( ok, stop laughing) and are looking for a good shore diving location in Feb/March...........US AIR does not go to Bonaire or this would be a no brainer. Was hoping to get some input on other Caribbean destinations offering a "bonairish" type of diving. I realize Bonaire is the shore diving cap of the world and we do love it there............but what comes in second or third? Much thanks...........

Roatan has some very good shore diving--on the north side in front of BIBR ie Spooky Channel and in front of The Inn of Last Resort ie go out of their lagoon(absolutely perfect)......On the West End up by West Bay the BEST shore dive in the Caribbean @ the Black Rock--shallow but BEAUTIFUL little dive---my wife LOVES that dive.....Also Fantasy Island-CoCo View has a neat setup where you can dive the wreck and airplane ie both are connected by rope together to make for great nite dives exiting @ FI's gazebo(they drop you off @ dusk by boat)......

Curacao would be my next choice also if USAir flies there. It's on the same reef as Bonaire and very similar. We only did one boat dive there in a week of about 20 dives.

There's at least a 1/2 dozen good shore dives on Grand Cayman also but it's pricey to stay there.

There is some pretty nice shore diving on St. Croix (stx) but I don't believe it is served by Useless Airways...oops, I mean U.S. Air. If you can get there, and are interested, we have more specific information on the sites etc.

Keith

Why not use miles to get to Curacao then take the "hopper" flight to Bonaire. That's what i do!

Back
Top Bottom