Grand Caymans or Cabo San Lucas(sea of cortez/pacific side of mexico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishlover

Reaction score
I 'm a beginner diver, planning a trip for December. I prefer somewhere that is warmer, less current ,good visibility and you can see lots of different colorful fish types and sizes under 60 feet. Do you think Grand Caymans or Cabo San lucas is better in terms of weather, fish population and variety, colorful corals, and visibility?
which one is better to go in December and which one for April?

Go to Cayman, it is the typical warm water, good vis, lots of fish and coral diving. Cabo is cold water, variable vis, lots of fish location.

Cayman will be more expensive than Cabo.

But I love diving in both locations because of their differences

Little Cayman Island offers the best diving that I have yet encountered - warm, blue, clear water, vis in excess of 100', dramatic 6,000' sheer walls, and abundant wild life. Take your own nightlife with you as there is not much to do there other than dive. I have been numerous times to Little Cayman Beach Resort and have been very pleased - great food and very professional and capable dive service.

Grand Cayman...(s) please drop the "s", would be a great start to see fish life. You would enjoy the clear visibility as well as the fish life. There are many times when Cabo's visibility is really bad, although there are some areas off shore (a really long way) that are reportedly good, whether a dive operations will take you there is questionable.

This is from more than 60 feet down looking up at the boat
File0115.jpg

Cayman fish life can be fantastic
File0245.jpg

I have not been to Caymen yet. I did visit Cabo last month and the diving was OK. I had a good time. Vis was good & water was warm. When I compare other posters description of Caymen diving with my personal experience diving Cabo I would suggest Caymen.

BTW: Cabo is the most expensive vacation I have ever taken. My PDC, Maui & Belize trips were all much more reasonable.

steve,
Did you wear a wetsuit? what kind? Did you go early or late October? What kind of stuff did you see? any manta ray? Which dive shop did you go with? what sites did you go to? How deep did you go?
Thanks.

No wetsuit. Trunks & T-shirt. Water was 84-86. It does begin to cool off this time of year though. A 3mil may be in order shortly. Also, there are occasional jellyfish to contend with.

We were there the last week in September. First four dives were with Lands End. Following dives were with Amigos del Mar. I would recommend Amigos del Mar.

Pictures are not the best but will give you wome idea:
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/mohave_steve/Cabo/

Max depth was 87'. Deeper dives are available.

Our Cabo trip was my Wife's first ocean diving and we found the currents at Cabo Pulmo were uncomfortable for her. If I had been aware of the dive conditions before making the long drive I would have skipped the Cabo Pulmo trip.

Have you considered Turks and Caicos Islands? Just got back form there and would go again in a heart beat!
I have dove Cabo and there is a Marine Park in Cabo Pulmo,which can be booked out of a local shop in Cabo, that is well worth the drive. We had a blast there and the water was warm, abundant fish and good local people.
You could join us on our next trip, 11/21-11/25/08 to Puarto Vallarta.

Back
Top Bottom