Scuba / Snorkel vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikayak

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy y'all and thanks in advance. I hope I am posting in the correct section as I don't hang out here (as much as I should!).

Anyway, my brother & sister-in-law have invited us (wife & me) to go on a short 4-day tropical vacation in Feb for her 50th birthday. (They are even paying!!!)

Now, my wife and I are both certified. In-laws just want to snorkel - they don't even have an interested in a resort diving course.

We live in Maryland. I've done a bit of traveling about the Caribbean but would like to have others input on and recommendations on where to go. We would prefer some shore diving/snorkeling.....more snorkeling. If we have to go out in the boat to dive....so be it. We just want them to be able to snorkel to their hearts content from the shore.

Bonaire was one of my choices....but it is a bit "far" - and I don't even know if they do 4-day packages. My brother went to Cancun and said the snorkeling was very degraded due to the recent H'canes.

Any suggestions??

Ive never been to the Caymans'...I got certified in the Bahamas....but it was such a 4-day whirlwind that I have no idea what else is there other than a pool & a UNEXSO Boat! Florida doesn't have great Snorkeling - (without going out on a boat)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

wrong section......... should be posted in the General Travel Forum

but anyhow, Bonaire would be your best trip but not for 4 days since travel takes a full day each way. The great thing is that you and wife could shore dive a site while your inlaws snorkel at the very same site! That would be fun for everyone. :D
Look at Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations and Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures for some package deals to Bonaire.

Also, look at The Bonaire WebCams - Welcome!
Maybe you can talk them into extending the trip to 5-6 days if they see how great it will be. :D

I have Bonaire videos on my website, too.

robin:D

Belize is also nice...close...really shallow so lots to see with snorkling. I just came back from caymans...I think you will have more shallow locations favorable to snorkling in Belize as compared to caymans. Bonaire...that would be better...7 days of paradise....take the extra time

Cozumel

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to General Travel

What about the Keys?

Ceci suggested the Keys, which might work except that you are saying your trip will be in Feb..... I don't know that the water will be all that warm. Don't know for sure though.

although the diving in Cozumel is great, I always thought the snorkeling was poor, and from what I have heard from others here on SB it has only gotten worse since the hurricane tore up the shallow reefs a few years ago. I wouldn't send anyone there to snorkel for that reason.:shakehead:

Bartimmo mentioned Belize, but I was under the impression that there is no shore snorkeling there, you must take a boat out. And since the OP asked about shore diving and snorkeling...:shakehead:

I still say Bonaire, but you need to go for more than 3 days. :D

You might consider Looe Key Reef Resort in the lower Florida Keys. There really isn't good snorkeling from shore in the Keys as the reef is a few miles out, but they take snorkelers and divers together on their daily 3-tank trips to the Looe Key marine park where there is good snorkeling and decent shallow diving. You could fly to Miami and rent a car and be there in a couple hours.

Since it's your sister-in-laws birthday and they're paying, I think I'd focus more on places that suit what they want more, which might not be the common dive destinations. Perhaps someplace in the Virgin Islands? Closer, good snorkeling in many places, some nice diving, good for non-divers (and again, they're paying. :) )

Back
Top Bottom