Travel suggestions for solo female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobsterlover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

So I'll be able to take 2-3 weeks off from the end of December into January, and I need some ideas on where to spend it! I'm looking for nice tropical beaches, good weather, good diving and inexpensive accommodation. Its a tall order, I know. I don't mind spending time or money to get there since this will probably be my last long trip for a while. I'm not a resort person but I love to stay right on the beach in an open-air structure. I've just turned 30 years young so I'm still looking for some adventure and I prefer more remote places with rustic accommodation. There should be enough people around for me to share a beer and play some cards with - but quiet enough that I can fall asleep to the sound of waves at night. I spent a month on Samoa a few years ago and I loved it there, also traveled to Thailand - but I'm looking for somewhere new. I'm currently conteplating Fiji or Utila or Belize, but I'm concerned that it will be the rainy season in all cases. I don't mind a little rain each day - but I need some sunshine! Am I over-concerned about the rain? I feel like I'm missing some obvious places but not sure yet where. I'm still a bit of a novice (20 dives) - so I would like to dive somewhere where I can get a good handle on my skills and maybe get my advanced - but I think I can achieve that almost anywhere.

Thanks for your help!
lobsterlover

Do you want to go out of the country or stay in? We live in Ft. Lauderdale, on the beach, and have great diving. We just had two marines from SUDS SUDS Diving > Welcome to SUDS come down and dive this past weekend and had a blast. There are many places to stay here by Lauderdale by the Sea that are inexpensive. I am actually going to talk to a resort a couple doors down from where we live today to see what deals they would give SB'ers. I can let you know when I hear from them. We have a ton of dive operators down here and it is lobster season. We have a lot of other SB'ers here that would love to dive with you too. I would love to dive with you, but will be in Colorado the dates you are talking about. If you need any more info on South Florida and are interested, just PM me.

I love Florida in the summer - I've spend some great weekends on the keys, but the winter diving is a little cold for me. And I want to go far away since I have a decent amount of time to travel.

Dec-Jan is not the rainy season at any of those destinations, but it is peak travel time and you will find many dive destinations have been booked up for months and airfare prices are high.

Utila and Belize will fit your bill for more rustic adventures. Belize also has lots of topside activities, like visiting the Mayan ruins on the mainland, jungle tours, river tubing, etc. Utila doesn't have anything other than diving. Cozumel and Roatan might be a good options, too.

I would look at Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations or Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures for some package deals. Call them and they may be able to hook you up with a group that is going to one of those destinations, also.

robin:D

Hopefully we can dive with you if you come down in the summer. I also am working on a women's "It's all about me" trip. I will let you know when I put it together in case you can make it.

Hmm. That's an interesting concept. I like it! Generally, I try to make all of my vacations "all about me."

So I'll be able to take 2-3 weeks off from the end of December into January,

Let me take a wild guess- you're a SCUBA diving teacher?

I'm looking for nice tropical beaches

That's going to be a limiting factor. Bonaire combines beaches and great divving.

, good weather

It is getting to the end of rainy season in the Caribbean. Not ideal for the best weather, but if you are locked in to that time frame... maybe look harder at the Pacific Area?

, good diving and inexpensive accommodation.

That is called "high season" and it aint because they're smokin' their socks. Christmas on an island is a great experience, but it's gonna cost you.

I'm not a resort person but I love to stay right on the beach in an open-air structure. ... some adventure and I prefer more remote places with rustic accommodation.

Might want to skip anything in the US (Florida included). Belize has such places, the Philippines and others out that way. Utila, by your definition, is downtown NYC.

There should be enough people around for me to share a beer and play some cards with - but quiet enough that I can fall asleep to the sound of waves at night.

On the beach, open air structure, this pretty well describes Roatan's CoCoView with it's over the reef cabanas, but it is technically a resort.

I feel like I'm missing some obvious places but not sure yet where.

The Maldives, the Red Sea, Philippines, Vietnam, Los Roques, Charlottesville/Speyside Tobago.

True, the last two are in the Caribbean, but they're so far South that they're well out of the rain band by that month.

If you want rustic, seriously consider Los Roques (not Isla Maragitte). Very interesting diving, a lot of pirate era wrecks. You will have to deal with those boneheads in Venezuala at the airport, but I wouldn't let that discourage me.

There are any number of places we Americans can only see as liveabaord destinations. Quite the contrary! The land based operations are rarely advertised here, mostly appealing to the European backpacker crowd- which you're on the "old age" verge of bypassing. This can be done in places you would never have thought- the Galapagos included. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and if you want rustic, you can do it by avoiding North American haunts!

That is a tough one! But hey- all that travel to exotic destinations and only 20 dives logged? I think you could go back and really see the place!

Hopefully we can dive with you if you come down in the summer. I also am working on a women's "It's all about me" trip. I will let you know when I put it together in case you can make it.

Hey Michelle,

Please keep me in mind for your "It's all about me trip".

Natalie

Try San Andres and or Old Providence Islands in the Seaflower Biosphere Reserve
It would probable take both place to get what you want.
sanandres.com
oldprovience.com.co
PM me if you have any question
I am leaving for the islands Saturday

I would recommend Turks or Caicos islands. they are in the south Caribbean. My husband and I were just there this past summer (low season) and had a great time. Grand Turks is pretty much a very, very small island with only a handful of places to stay. It's approx. 1 x 7 miles in size and very much off the beaten path. We stayed at the Manta House run by 2 girls who went there for graduation and never went home. It's got lots of history and you must tour the museum (very small as is everything on the island) while there. the Queen and one of our presidents stayed there. When you go it will be high season and should book ASAP. If not staying at the Manta house, stay at Bohio resort or Ospree beach hotel. these all only have a few rooms. the Manta House is a B & B and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bungalow. they include free continental breakfast. the other 2 were both occupied by single ladies. If you want secluded.. this is definitely the place to go. If staying with the Manta house or Ospree dive with Mitch with blue Water divers. He's GREAT. If staying at Bohio dive with them. they have it all in one location. either way, you won't be disappointed. I may suggest, since you have to take a puddle jumper plane to get to Grand Turd from Providenciales, you may want to spend a week also in Provo and dive with Dive Prove We met with them and him and his wife have 3 great dive boats and definitely are a 10++++. There are other islands in the Turks Caicos islands which we didn't go to but were told about by other divers/travelers. You may want to check them out on a general web site on the area. when you are ready to make your choice, please give us a shot at your business at : KBParadiseTravel.com

Most places are on the beach or just across the road. the beaches are not large so you'll hear the waves if you leave your windows open. If you want more info on any place on Grant Turk or Profe, feel free to email us. the lady from Europe who was a single has a month of holiday and went to a few islands on her trip and to the states before returning to England. the other lady was a wife of a military man who was deployed.
Like someone else before, I would also recommend Belize. Both locations should be short for you to get to from Il and still make a GREAT trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom