New flight Regulations about carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About to go to cozumel and just checked the airline regulations about carry ons. My wife and I always put our bcd, computers and regulators in our carry on because we don't want to get that expensive stuff out of our sight. Our old carry ons were fine 3months agao but now exceed by 4 inches... How close do they check the carry on dimensions! Don't know if we need to buy new carry ons or just try it with the old one. ANY suggestions!!?? really don't want this stuff to be put in check luggage, on last dive trip some in our group had theirs lost for a couple of days due to being in checked rather than carry on.

What airline? When we travel we put our BC's in our checked luggage, you can always get one from the shop, but ALWAYS carry on our computers and regs. We have traveled out of the country several times in the past 3 months and I have a large carry on, and have never gotten checked. What really matters is what airline.

I always put my BC in my checked luggage as well, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, I can think of a couple possible solutions. Put it in your now-oversized bag and see if they'll let you get past security....I'd bet that they will, as I've really never seen anyone actually check. If you get on the plane and find that it doesn't fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat, do a gate check (they'll take the bag before you board, put it on the airplane, and return it to you right after you exit, at the side of the plane, rather than at the checked luggage carousel). If I can avoid checking things and do just a gate check, I'll do it that way every time.

The other option I can think of is to wear your BC in as if it's a vest of sorts. You might get some funny looks, but it beats leaving it in your checked bag if you're really against it. Obviously you'll need to take it off to walk through the metal detector, but I would imagine they'd let you wear it on since it won't take up extra room (in their eyes).

And I definitely agree with keeping your regs and computers in your carry-ons. Expensive, life support pieces of equipment should be kept close to you so they don't get stolen or damaged. Enjoy your time in Cozumel!

Why not just use your proven, old carry-ons and not have to worry about it? DUH.

>>....I'd bet that they will, as I've really never seen anyone actually check. <<

I've been doing a bit of international traveling lately and at least at Heathrow (London, UK) they do check the size of carry-ons every time as part of the security screening (it's the Airport enforcing the rules, not the airline). Part of the justification is to be sure that the bag will fit through the x-ray machines. I had to purcahse a special bag to fit the Heathrow luggage sizer.

Thankfully this bag also fits 90% of US airline specifications.

Checked bags for your BCs. Carry on your Computer & regs.
I have seen people be required to put their bags into the little "carry on sizer" thing at the gate. IF it doesn't fit, the bag is checked. I have seen this happen with most airlines, too. Don't try to take on a carryon that is too big..... it isn't fair to the other travelers who are abiding by the rules! :shakehead:

How close do they check the carry on dimensions! Don't know if we need to buy new carry ons or just try it with the old one. ANY suggestions!!??

How close they evaluate bag sizes will depend on your luck of the draw. I've flown several times over the last couple of months, and have seen airline gate personnel be very particular/anal about the size at one stop, and not even bother looking down at your bag at the next stop. I would suggest a new carry-on if you are dead set against checking your gear.

Why not just use your proven, old carry-ons and not have to worry about it? DUH.

I think what they're saying is that their old carry-ons are now too large because the airline changed the dimension requirements.

About to go to cozumel and just checked the airline regulations about carry ons. My wife and I always put our bcd, computers and regulators in our carry on because we don't want to get that expensive stuff out of our sight. Our old carry ons were fine 3months agao but now exceed by 4 inches... How close do they check the carry on dimensions! Don't know if we need to buy new carry ons or just try it with the old one. ANY suggestions!!?? really don't want this stuff to be put in check luggage, on last dive trip some in our group had theirs lost for a couple of days due to being in checked rather than carry on.

I guess the rules have changed DUH:D

There's talk over on the FlyerTalk forums (forums for frequent flyers) about some airlines at some airports having staff just outside of security measuring bags. That way you can still go back to the counter and check an oversized bag (and pay the airline the $$$ they want to charge you for it). Don't know if this applies to CO out of IAH.

Generally, though, most airlines are getting more strict about it since many have started adding a la carte charges for baggage. Lots more people are bringing large carryons to avoid paying for checked luggage.

Back
Top Bottom