First comes diving, then comes marriage ... HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, we get tickets to Miami, arriving late Sat night 24 Jan, flying home early Sat 31 Jan. This is with plans to dive Key Largo. Then we decide eh, maybe we'll get married, which complicates things a bit. Looking at a quick trip to Cuba, but that may not be possible. (THANK YOU, stupid embargo.)

So ... where should we go? I've done Bonaire, diving's OK but Jesus it's boring topside and I hated the food. He likes birdwatching, I can do one day of that. If we make things legal, we'd like a nice setting and nice places to eat. (No crappy dive resort buffets and mildewed mattresses.)

Where would you go? We have four nights, not counting Miami. We'd rather do something non-U.S.

Confidential to single divers: Refusing to date anyone who doesn't dive (or isn't willing to learn) - it pays off! He's a doll AND a great dive buddy.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Well, it sounds like you want a nightlife and mutliple restaurants....which is the complete opposite of what I look for in a dive destination.

Given that, there are two places I've been that fit the bill of decent diving coupled with nightlife/multiple restaurants that you require.

Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

OR

Grand Cayman

Thanks, Lori. We are looking at T&C if we can't make Cuba, also Exuma.

I've heard that Cuba diving isn't all that, but it would make for a nice wedding destination with a day or two of diving. I haven't done Key Largo, but I'm afraid after it will be disappointing ... I dove in Ft. Lauderdale once and, well, living in Asia has spoiled me, I guess.

Thanks, Lori. We are looking at T&C if we can't make Cuba, also Exuma.

I've heard that Cuba diving isn't all that, but it would make for a nice wedding destination with a day or two of diving. I haven't done Key Largo, but I'm afraid after it will be disappointing ... I dove in Ft. Lauderdale once and, well, living in Asia has spoiled me, I guess.

Yes you are spoiled by those Pacific sites underwater. There is no place in the Caribbean that will have the fish life or diversity that you/ve experienced in the Asia. The best for diving that IMHO is:1. Little Cayman (no topside, very quiet, they do have a bird preserve)
2.Turks and Caicos (Provo), most of the great diving is off west Caicos, the Island is a lot bigger, a couple of places for nightlife, the best beach in the world (Grace Bay) 3. Grand Cayman, about the same size as T&Cprovo, the north wall is great, StingRay City is fun, there are a few fun night places to go.
4. Cozumel, clear water, good diving and more nightlife than the other places. 5. Bonaire, the best shore diving in the Caribbean, the easiest in and out so if he doesn't dive then more time topside.
6. Have you thought about Costa Rica, lots of birds, diving is okay as viz can be bad, might not be much nightlife though.

Now if you had a choice to go anywhere, I'd say go to Cairns Australia as there are a lot of birds, take a three or four night liveaboard (Lizard Island and north is best) and there is plenty night life.

I've been to all these places through the years so I'm thinking from what I experienced. I've been to the Bahamas on four different trips, they are good diving and for night life okay, for birding...NOT.

other thoughts..........How about Fiji? What about Dominica? What about Hawaii? What about Tobago?

If he likes bird watching, definitely take a trip over to Shark Valley in the Florida Everglades. He will have a blast. And the gators are a kick too. After feeding at night, the gators all hang out trailside to use the elevation to aid in digestion.

BTW, you can get a great cuban experience right there in Miami. One of the cool things about the US is that we are such a mutt country (with influences from all over the world, you can experience a variety of cultures in a single city.

Have you considered Barbados? BTW are you planning on getting married at this destination?

Key Largo diving is less than South Fla, so if you didn't like that, you won't like Key Largo unless you can do the Spiegel Grove and Duane wrecks which are both really nice. Not many places can you go on a 4 day trip and get in any good diving in the Caribbean. Especially in late January where weather can be a factor (it is winter here, remember!), I would look at a bit longer trip or go to somewhere else. Cozumel is about the only place you can get a direct flight from Miami and dive for a few days and return with little hassles. Little Cayman or Cayman Brac might be nice for you, but you are looking at a day of travel each way as you fly into Grand Cayman then take a small plane over. Not much to do topside at either of those locations though.

robin:D

You could hop over to New Providence. Decent wall dives, some nightlife, not much for birds unless you can arrange a trip to one of the little islands/keys nearby.

you might consider Antigua. The night life is pretty good:
Antigua & Barbuda: Antigua Nightlife What's On & Entertainment Guide

There are some excellent restaurants; Le Bistro is one that enjoyed. (see if they still have Goats-do-Roam on the wine list)

The diving on the south side is comparable to the BVIs for fish life, although the coral is not as plentiful. Make sure you use a dive op that goes there, the cruise ship dive ops do mostly shallow dives on the west coast. Dockyard Divers Dockyard Divers - Antigua scuba diving and Aquanauts aquanaut@candw.ag are 2 that do the south side.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely do a trip report when we decide!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom