French Plolynesia Rangiora diving report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaignstar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, it's almost a year later but still... :doh2:
Sorry about that, it won't happen again. On this trip we went to Thaiti, Rangiora and Bora Bora last christmas. It's been the trip of our live that's for sure. During this time of the years it's the rainy season and I can confirm you that it really is.

Thaiti, we did the full junggle tour on our first day, really amazing. At the end we stop a the black beach for a little surfing session. the next day, we took the plane for Rangiora. So no diving here. sorry.

Rangiora : We were staying at the Kia Ora, the best place to stay in Rangiora. We did not dive with the dive center at the hotel because the only speak Japanise ? no english or french at all. Plus it was super expensive for each dive. A friend of mine told me to not dive with them and dive with the Ray Manta Club. So right after we arrive we call them, really nice poeple. There are french so it was perfect for us :D . They pick us up at the hotel the next morning. They explain we were about to dive with the sharks, manta, barakuda, napoleon, turttle... we were all super stoke. My sister and law was like Shhhhhaaaarrkkss ??????? They told us that there's sharks everywere in Rangiora. We dive our first 3 days with the owner Yves Lefebvre. Just to let you know who he is, he's the one who bring the diving in the french polynesia and was a good friend of Cousteau familly, father and son.

Rangiora is an atol that have two opening to the ocean. The water was 80 degres, sunny day, no wind, everything was perfect. It's always a drift when ou dive there because if the tide is going down we dive from the inside to the outside. if the tide is going up we drift from the outside to the inside of the atol. So it's really nice to dive the same drift on the both ways. It's a super blue water with a viz that can reach 120 feet or more. When we were down the water, the sharks were right there. we did see everything here, sharks (white tips and black tips are the most common), manta ray, sting ray, parots, dolphins, napoleon, turtle... all in the same dive, really amasing. each dive were arrond 85 to 100 feet. at 110 feet you can sea really clearly the boat on top, wow this was amazing. Higly recomend the Ray Manta Club. I would go back for sure. Whale and hammer sharks are more often in the summer time.

Bora Bora : We went there and it 's was raining really hard. When it's raining they don't bring you out to the ocean, they only bring you inside the atol. We only have 1 sunny day in a week, so we dive inside of the atol and there was only small fish and coral, no current. the viz was arrond 35 feet because of the rain. Hard to belive, we were expecting laot more viz. Anyway it's was really nice and different frome Rangiora. But once we dive with lots of sharks and big fish for a week in Rangiora, we were like : Where is the sharks ?

was an amazing trip, lots of plane traveling between thos island so we could not dive as much as we want to.

I'll post some pics, but you'll see than I'm really not good with underwater camera, specially without a flash.

Hope you enjoy the report and thanks for letting me practice my english. :rofl3:
I'm a damn frenchies ! :eyebrow:

We dove Rangiroa on our recent Polynesian trip as well. It was the high spot of the trip. We played with a pod of dolphins, and had a manta swim right through our group, and of course we saw sharks. But another BIG part of the fun was the healthy, vibrant reef and the unbelievable concentrations of reef fish that we saw. I could have spent a week diving there, easily. We dove with Top Dive, and had a great time. They have a good operation and treated us well, and the guide, Serge, was wonderful. His own joy in the diving there definitely increased the enjoyment of his guests.

You didn't miss a lot on the outer reef at Bora Bora. Lots of dead coral there.

here ya go

Attachments

• DSC_5121.jpg
    DSC_5121.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P1000085.jpg
    P1000085.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1000135.jpg
    P1000135.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000137.jpg