Vacation suggestions that offers hunting wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Av06

Registered
Reaction score
So I am going to graduate from college next year and so my family is going to take me on a dive trip a year from this coming summer. When my brother graduated we went on a Nekton cruise out of Belize and had a great time. For mine I want something that is a bit more balanced between topside and diving, maybe 3 or 4 days on a liveaboard and then a resort nearby with lots of adventures to be had in the surrounding area. Another thing I am looking for is the ability to hunt while diving to change things up a little and keep it interesting. I was thinking the Bahamas but then wasn't sure if it was all protected down there. Any places where we could rent our own boat and go at our own speed diving off that?

Thanks for any help!

So I am going to graduate from college next year and so my family is going to take me on a dive trip a year from this coming summer. When my brother graduated we went on a Nekton cruise out of Belize and had a great time. For mine I want something that is a bit more balanced between topside and diving, maybe 3 or 4 days on a liveaboard and then a resort nearby with lots of adventures to be had in the surrounding area. Another thing I am looking for is the ability to hunt while diving to change things up a little and keep it interesting. I was thinking the Bahamas but then wasn't sure if it was all protected down there. Any places where we could rent our own boat and go at our own speed diving off that?

Thanks for any help!

as far as I know, there are no liveaboards in Bahamas or anywhere in Caribbean that allow hunting because of local laws and the fact most people want to see the fish. Most liveaboards are also 7-days.

you might want to look into a trip in California though. Many of those boats allow hunting (depending on where they are diving each dive). They also tend to be shorter trips, 1 day, 2 day, 3 day...etc. I don't hunt, shoot video, but there have been a few hunters on every trip we have done in Calif the past 4 years. You will have to get a local hunting license also, don't know what the costs are. There are seasons for each particular fish and/or lobster so you have to know those laws too. If you try to bring something back onboard that isn't legal you will have it thrown back and maybe worse. The Coast Guard also stops the boats and checks out everyone's permits and catches and fines the boat and diver if they have anything that isn't legal.

Is the whole Caribbean pretty much protected like the Bahamas or are there going to be places that hunting is allowed? I go to school in San Diego and am from Oregon so we want to get out a bit and explore somewhere new. I guess what we would be looking for is a resort type place that has a good daily dive boat running from it so that we can get a few dives in a day and then have fun topside for the rest. We are looking at pretty much the whole world, within reason.

Is the whole Caribbean pretty much protected like the Bahamas or are there going to be places that hunting is allowed? I go to school in San Diego and am from Oregon so we want to get out a bit and explore somewhere new. I guess what we would be looking for is a resort type place that has a good daily dive boat running from it so that we can get a few dives in a day and then have fun topside for the rest. We are looking at pretty much the whole world, within reason.

I don't know of any place in the world that allows hunting on scubadiving boats other than Florida (some places in SE Fla, Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm area), some boats off NC coast, or California. If you really insist on hunting on a dive trip, go to one of those places.

If you want to do other types of topside activities (like jungle tours, zip lines, ancient Mayan ruins, visit volcanos or waterfalls, tube thru caves, visit zoos, eco tours, wind surfing....), we can give you lots of recommendations of fun places to go. :D Hunting and diving don't really mix well in most places. :shakehead:

robin:D

If you are looking for something completely different, there is a dive shop in Northeastern Utah, Neptune Divers of Vernal, that offers hunting every weekend with regular competitions all summer long. Not my cup of tea, but in talking to the guys around here, they love it. Nice camping up in Flaming Gorge as well.

Florida is definitely the best place for hunting. Liveaboard goes out of Ft Myers Dry Tortugas Diving liveaboard, The Ultimate Getaway. Dive the Dry Tortugas or customize a trip out of Ft. Myers Florida. runs 3 and 4 day trips to the Dry Tortuga spear fishing and lobstering (lobster Aug-Mar). Friend of mine did a couple of all day trips (4 dives per day) hunting in California...don't have the name, but if you want it I'll ask.

Sounds like you should dive first, shoot the stuff home and party the second half! Good luck.

Ok so minus the hunting from the whole thing because it seems like that isn't practical. Any trips you guys have done that you thought were great? A good balance of a nice resort, exciting topside activities and easy to get to diving? Most likely in the Caribbean but anywhere goes. Thanks!

Hunting whilst diving is illegal in Belize, thankfully. You should find "just diving" to be exciting enough. If it isn't you need to learn a bit more about diving.

Ok so minus the hunting from the whole thing because it seems like that isn't practical. Any trips you guys have done that you thought were great? A good balance of a nice resort, exciting topside activities and easy to get to diving? Most likely in the Caribbean but anywhere goes. Thanks!

check out Belize......... lots of topside activities (zip lines, tubing through caves in jungle, land jungle tours, Mayan ruin tours, zoo) to keep you happy and diving. Check out Ambergris Cay, lots of hotels and resorts.:D

Back
Top Bottom