Planning Family Dive Trip! Where to Start???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popcorn

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I were Open Water Certified in June. We have are talking about planning a dive trip/ family vacation to Mexico over our children's Christmas break (late Dec thru early Jan.) I am asking for help or direction to guide the the planning.

We are thinking about Cancun/Cozumel. Probably stay 5 to 7 days. This is our first ocean dive trip. Wife and I will probably make one or two dives per day. We would be interested in improving our skills and working toward advanced certifications if that fits the schedule.

We will be bringing a babysitter with us (15 yr old non-diver). Our children are 5 and 8. Love to swim. Would like Bubblemakers or SASY programs available at our hotel/resort. (Passports recommended for the little ones?)

So far there are 5 - 6 of us planning to travel.(2 -3 adults, 3 children) We may have another 2 - 4 people travel with us if costs are right for them.

Where do I start? Sites or suggestions very welcome and appreciated.

I can't really help you with the dive planning, but I can answer the passport question. For your children - proof of citienship is needed. The most common for children is a cretified copy of a birth certificate. No photo ID is required. For the 15 yr old travelling with you - they will also need a birth certificate - and it wouldn't hurt to have a notarized letter from his/her parent(s) stating you have permission to travel with their sonj/daughter, and also a medical power of attorney - should you need to get emergency medical care for him/her. An attorney can write these up for you farily quickly at a minimal charge.

Passports -- I would recommend passports....you will never have any problems with a US passport. With these other documents........sometimes issues can arise depending on the mood of the customs official you are dealing with. We recently obtained passports for our 4 and 6 year olds -- process took about 5-6 weeks. Well worth it for piece of mind. I believe for kids 15 and under it is $40 per head for a new passport.

This is a useful website with info on how to obtain a passport, FAQs, etc. Includes downloadable passport application forms.

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

Popcorn,

There is a relatively informative article in the October print edition of Rodale's Scuba Diving (I just received it in the mail yesterday) -- talks about key points to consider when planning family dive vacations and makes several specific resort recommendations, including at least a few in the Coz/Cancun area of Mexico.

Hi Popcorn,

Unless you are set on Mexico, another place you might want to look at is Bonaire. Some of the easiest diving anywhere, boat or shore, and the reefs are great. You can set your own schedule and profile, anywhere from a 20 ft reef dive to a 100 ft wreck. A couple of resorts I know of offer kids programs, Sassy as well and marine education programs that keep the kids busy all day (including your baby sitter). It's a safe place and the people are wonderful. There are resorts that range from fancy all inclusive to budget. On the "down" side, there is not a lot of night life or "tourist trap" stuff, street vendors and the like but I like that, I go to dive, eat and sleep. As for passports, they are not required for you or the kids, birth certificate and picture ID is acceptable, although I would recommend getting passports. I have web addresses of resorts on Bonaire if you like.

Hi Popcorn!
I live in Cozumel. You might want to check out All Inclusive programs like: Allegro Resorts, Iberostar, Paradisus, Reef Club, they have good Kids programs. I know Apple Vacations, GWV, TNT Travel, work with them. Now you could come on a package deal or on your own. There's a really nice hotel (4 star hotel),the name is "Club del Sol" in front of the Dzul-Ha Reef. It´s really nice and has OCV rooms. There prices are really, really good. Better than Down Town hotels. A double room is for $80 US per room. Triple $90 and Quad. $100 per room!!!!!! Check it out. There e-mail is: clubdelsol@cozunet.finred.com.mx

Thank you everyone. I will check out the recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom