New Airline Regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Copied this from another list, thought we needed to know.

Good Morning!

Here is a letter from David Colvard that should get your attention and
warn you of things to come:

This morning at the Flamingo Airport (Bonaire) a number of divers, including
myself, were surprised by having multiple items confiscated by the airport
security personnel. We had expected some increased measures, but nothing
like we experienced. I had left my new dive knife back at my
condo at Sand Dollar, but they went through EVERYTHING with a fine tooth
comb and took my nail clippers, blunt scissors, and tweezers FROM my toilet
kit in my checked baggage. They also refused to allow me to check as
luggage
a box containing a tv I was returning to the States, even though I had just
brought down several electronic items in the same box a week earlier. I
was told it was new FAA rules, but that was not true. I had to leave it
behind and I plan to file a claim against American Eagle. Several dive
knives which were in luggage were confiscated, even though they were NOT
in carry on bags. Another diver headed to St Vincent from Bonaire through
San Juan lost his regulator repair tools, even though they were in checked
luggage, not in carry on luggage. Half the passengers on our American Eagle
flight had similar experiences.

Bottom line: Divers should be aware that the islands are interpreting
the new airport security FAA rules VERY strictly and should NOT attempt
to bring any "sharps" or tools on any flight, whether in carry on or checked
luggage. I hope you will issue an immediate alert to divers who plan any
air travel to the islands in the near future

This brings up a good question, what are the rules reguarding dive equipment on airlines and through customs? Can a person usually carry a dive knife in checked baggage? What about Spare Air? I have never flown anywhere with diving gear before. I used to be in the Army (was a flight engineer instructor on the CH-47D helicopter) and never had any problem carrying anything on with me to any country. I plan on going to Barberetta (smallest of the Bay Islands) this spring and don't want to take anything that will get confiscated. They don't have a dive shop there, from what I have read, so I do want to take what I will need. They have tanks and air for you, but you are supposed to bring everything else.

Thanks, Hawk.

Working with the airlines, I think that carrying your knife in checked luggage will be OK. The spare air bottle has no restriction other than the valve is going to have to be removed so the bottle doesn't have any compressede air in it at all. Have a great time on the trip.

Hawk,
We're leaving for a dive trip in 18 days. I'll let you know at least what American Ailines ends up doing about all the gear we will have. I'll be checking gear for 4 divers.
In the past we have packed dive knives, regs, Bcds, all kinds of strange looking things without any problems. My husband has a whole tool kit he always takes.
I've never taken or checked a tank, but I know you could bring your own tank for an additional $90.00 with American. Of course a "Spare Air" size shouldn't be a problem. But then again the best thing would be to call ahead and ask your airlines. So much seems to have changed.
I had the whole Bonaire letter dropped in my email too. I'm quite surprised by it. I was just in Bonaire this year, with a group of 22 divers and no one was checked at all. To hear of such a drastic difference is a bit surprising, but I'm sure they are at a strong heightened awareness state.
I'm sure you'll have fun. We should know a lot more before your spring trip.
:sunny:

I contacted American Airlines on this topic and spoke with Information on International Flights, the advised me that as long as it is in "checked baggage" there will be no problems.

If anybody has any questions regarding gear they can contact American Airlines at 1-800-433-7300, then press option 6.

ID

:mario: Know someone who went through the other day with a laptop, for a domestic flight here in Canada. He had to turn the thing on (power, not the other:D). Other than that, no problems, don't know how closely this relates to the states though.

Thanks for the info guys, and gals!

Natasha keep us informed on what they allow and how they treat you, I'm sure everything will eventually settle down.

Thanks, Hawk.

...in addition to or in contrast to airplane security. I've heard conflicting information on what's allowed in the airport post-WTC - specifically box-cutters, but dive knives can't be any better. Even wandering the concourse with one while you wait to check in may be regarded as a threat.

Think about the crowds of people, possible bombs, potential for putting bomb materials or makings into the hold of an aircraft, especially one headed for the US. You know you brought that regulator with you on the trip, but does airport security in a resort island? It may be tough times for a while for dive equipment.
Terry

back it in checked in luggage and actually tell the staff its in there with and as dive gear i cant see there being a problem.

Back
Top Bottom