Water Treatments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I try to be careful about safe drinking water when I leave the country, not trusting hotels that claim to have purified water (systems break down), and I'm not even sure I trust botted water companies outside of U.S. controls

I spoke with DAN's Medical department again, to be sure I had this right: Use Chlorine Laundry Bleach - 2 or 3 drops per quart or liter, stir and wait 30 minutes. Up to 10 drops if water is especially questionable or cloudy.

So, it this really a good idea, or am I missing something...?

Thanks, Don

Sounds like the mixture I put in my kids mini pool.
Probably work though.
Personally I'd go with water purification tablets or a water purification filter pump.
The pumps are nice. Small, lightweight, portable. Some process over 10k gallons before a filter cartridge change.
Good for a home emergency preparedness too.
The good one's are somewhat expensive.

Get one of the filter pitchers, it is just a charcoal filter, Add the chlorine as specified and allow to stand. Then pour through the charcoal filter and it will remove the chlorine.

Cities chlorinated their water not too many years ago - resulting in much the same as adding drops of Clorox. Now many have gone to other methods.

Anyway, when my Grandfather would come to my parents house in town, he couldn't stand the city water. He never had to drink treated water even in school. When he wated a glass of water :droplet: I'd get out my "one drop per gallon" dechlorinator. One drop per glass of water didn't hurt.

Since some towns still chlorinate water, I guess this stuff is still available? However, even 10 drops of Clorox per gallon is not going to hurt anyone, I don't think.

For more, call DAN's non-emergency medical line: 800-446-2671

:D Don

I know it's 30 minutes after adding clorine to water, and I think? it's the same on boiling? You know?

Thanks!

I think it's much less for boiling.
5 minutes tops, could be less.

For boiling, I think it is 5 minutes. Home brewers often boil their tools 5 minutes to "kill" any bacteria present. A purifying pump may be a good investment (plus you can use it for camping or backpacking). Personally, I don't like using the tablets, though I have. Tablets I have used make the water taste funny. Bottled water, obviously, is the best way to go...
:guitar:

Yes,adding a few drops of chlorine to a gallon of water is acceptable to make it safe for drinking-this doesn't kill everything, or extremely bad water but in general it is standard practise in the field if you do not have a special water purification device zeN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom