Family Scuba trip Summer 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMJJS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife, 15 year old son and I are scuba certified and have dived a few times in Cozumel and Riveria Maya. My youngest son who is turning 10 this summer would like to get certified. We are looking to do the pool & classroom work here in Chicagoland, but do the open water while on vacation.

We are looking for someplace where my youngest can finish his certification and we can also dive the rest of the week together. My wife doesn't really want to dive every day, while I'm guessing the boys and I will. Some place with other stuff to do would be nice. My teenager eats like a horse and likes expensive food (sushi, steak, seafood, etc) so an all-inclusive or cheap eats would be nice.

My wife would like to go someplace different than Riveria Maya, but let me know if that might be the best. Any other suggestions for places?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

My wife, 15 year old son and I are scuba certified and have dived a few times in Cozumel and Riveria Maya. My youngest son who is turning 10 this summer would like to get certified. We are looking to do the pool & classroom work here in Chicagoland, but do the open water while on vacation.

We are looking for someplace where my youngest can finish his certification and we can also dive the rest of the week together. My wife doesn't really want to dive every day, while I'm guessing the boys and I will. Some place with other stuff to do would be nice. My teenager eats like a horse and likes expensive food (sushi, steak, seafood, etc) so an all-inclusive or cheap eats would be nice.

My wife would like to go someplace different than Riveria Maya, but let me know if that might be the best. Any other suggestions for places?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

It's awesome that your whole family dives. Have you thought about joining Scubaboards Invasion to Cozumel?
It's a unbeatable All Inclusive deal and the the hotel has daliy activities and nightly entertaiment. Also we have other families going and kids under 12 stay and eat free.

To see the package click here
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...61018-scubaboard-invades-cozumel-package.html

Aslo FAQ's and other topics about the trip can be found here

Invade Cozumel- June 12-19, 2011 - ScubaBoard

Hope to see you in Cozumel

Curacao. Plenty for everyone to do above and below the water. Easy access to great shore and boat dives. We stay at the Marriott which my non-diving wife loves as there is a great beach, nice pool, several restaurants, close to town and most other places (not that the island is all that big.)

Same sort of diving as Bonaire but not "100% diving focused" as Bonaire is.

Two places I would suggest is either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac but let me say right up front there won't be a whole lot else to do. (There are some places and sites to see on Cayman Brac.) So if you can live without a lot of topside activities, these places are great!

The two resorts I suggest and have been to both are the Little Cayman Beach Resort and the Brac Reef Beach Resort. The diving is easy and excellent at both locations. The resorts themselves are first class. But the food is outstanding and a ton of it! To me, it's like eating gourmet food served buffet style. Large breakfast buffet followed by a buffet lunch with numerous choices and then a dinner buffet that will have 3 to 4 entrees as well as numerous soups, salads, veggies, and probably 4 to 5 different desserts every night. Don't know about the rest of you but your son will love it for sure! :D

Two places I would suggest is either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac but let me say right up front there won't be a whole lot else to do. (There are some places and sites to see on Cayman Brac.) So if you can live without a lot of topside activities, these places are great!

The two resorts I suggest and have been to both are the Little Cayman Beach Resort and the Brac Reef Beach Resort. The diving is easy and excellent at both locations. The resorts themselves are first class. But the food is outstanding and a ton of it! To me, it's like eating gourmet food served buffet style. Large breakfast buffet followed by a buffet lunch with numerous choices and then a dinner buffet that will have 3 to 4 entrees as well as numerous soups, salads, veggies, and probably 4 to 5 different desserts every night. Don't know about the rest of you but your son will love it for sure! :D

Agree---have been to LCBR a couple years ago & going to CBBR this summer(July)....Great(easy) diving with lots to see UW.........

EDIT: see our pics/videos from LC here, all Little Cayman albums have LC in their titles..
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GEAUXtiger/

Agree---have been to LCBR a couple years ago & going to CBBR this summer(July)....Great(easy) diving with lots to see UW.........

Well you're in for a treat at the Brac Resort! As good as the food was at the LCBR, the food at the Brac is even BETTER! As a matter of fact, "Mr. T" the owner of the resorts is always telling us how he wished he could find a chef as good as the one they have at the Brac to go over to the Little Cayman resort but the guy they have at the LC resort is top notch as well.

I second the Cozumel Invasion for getting the most for your dollar for your family. It's also a great place for your youngest to complete his referral coursework. There are several instructors (so far Netdoc, Scuba_Dad, and myself, maybe others) representing various agencies attending the Invasion who would probably be available to complete your son's training, or contact Dive Paradise to set that up with them. There is also a thread about non-diving activities for the non-divers and others who aren't diving everyday.

Hope to see you in Cozumel! :D

We will be in a similar situation next fall when my oldest turns 10. These are great suggestions, but as I understand it, 10-12 yr olds are not supposed to go deeper than 40 feet. How many of these suggestions have multiple dives at that depth? That is what I would be looking for :)

Or am I wrong, can 10 yr olds go as deep as adults?

You could easily do either place I suggested. Most of the time the first dive of the morning is along a wall but you don't have to go down the wall if you don't want to. You can easily just stay along the top of the wall which is usually 40ft or less. Most folks will go down the wall, swim in one direction, turn around and swim back along the top of the wall. You could just stay at the top the entire time and see as much or more than going deeper along the wall.

As far as what 10 yr olds should do or not do when it comes to diving depths, I have no idea really.

Well you're in for a treat at the Brac Resort! As good as the food was at the LCBR, the food at the Brac is even BETTER! As a matter of fact, "Mr. T" the owner of the resorts is always telling us how he wished he could find a chef as good as the one they have at the Brac to go over to the Little Cayman resort but the guy they have at the LC resort is top notch as well.

How's shore diving @ CB??.I don't think we did any @ LC...tia

Now saying this, I'm not too picky---give me ~18' & a half decent reef & I'm AOK, lol....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom