Roatan or Cozumel, which has better diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HonuDiver1059

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I you've been to and dove both I would love to hear about your experiences. Which has better diving? Why? Which has better non-diving fun? Why?

I have only been to Roatan's West End and Waihuka for the Waihuka Shark Dive. Roatan has very good diving and many boat sites. West End is a party town and basicly a dirt road dump town. West end has many Good Dive operators I would personally recommend West End Divers. If there and looking for a little extra look into the Waihuka Adventure Diving's, shark dive. They did an excellent job. The dive was a 10!

...I have only been to Roatan's West End and Waihuka for the Waihuka Shark Dive. .... If there and looking for a little extra look into ....

Roatan is a very big, small island. South side diving is a completely different experience from anything you were exposed to, the dives mentioned notwithstanding.

The Wiahuka Shark dive is done pretty well, those interested should do a search in this forum- lots of information already hashed through. Many people also visit the other "must see" dive on the South side of Roatan, Mary's Place. Many West End divers walk away after experiencing those two "signature" dives thinking that they have the entire island's offering well in hand. Not so.

Cozumel is what the West End of Roatan will likely look and feel like (kind of) within the next 15 years. If you want a party atmosphere on Roatan, West End is it, such as "it" is. Otherwise? Go to Coz.

Why do people go to Cozumel? It's very cheap airfare, comparatively, to get to. I think that scuba visitors look at Cozumel as a 70/30 proposition. I believe that 70% of its draw (perceived value) as being the on-shore activities, with a 30% value assigned to the diving experience... this for most visitors I have probed. A large number of "near to the US Caribbean Divers" (Cozumel, Cayman, Bahamas) repeat visits to those destinations not so much for the diving, but the pleasant welcoming terrestrial activities. In no small part is this fact: Diving is a drinking sport. (for many)

West End Roatan is probably 60/40, a slightly heavier bias in trip choice towards diving, largely because more visitors show up there while still in the learning process, it is a hot bed of certifications and education. It is, obviously, an entirely different vibe and pace, when looking at the diving and partying versus Cozumel, just the second stop to the North from Roatan.

The difference I alluded to above, the differences between West End vs. Southern shore on Roatan... the Southern shore is all but 100% serviced by AI resorts, where divers go to get and stay wet. Not a lot of partying there. So- if you were to compare South side Roatan to Cozumel~ it would be like night and day. Roatan South side: no parties unless you start one, no drift diving, max bottom times, shallow lush coral vertical walls. It is the 180° antithesis to Coz. Cozumel: Party city, drift diving, comparatively stark environments, fewer dives per day available.

Airfare is certainly the greatest difference. Cozumel airfare is a giveaway price in terms of Roatan's fares.

Which has the "best"? Answer: yes :)

It all depends on what you want. Many newer divers come to the my preference, the South side of Roatan, and are soundly disappointed in "the lack of fish". They weren't yet able to see anything smaller than a Lobster or Grouper, and their DMs failed in pointing out the really cool macro stuff that the area is known for.

If you compare the West End/North Side of Roatan to Cozumel, you have a different set of numbers in that algebraic equation. I would say, if you have a choice- get to Roatan now (just like Utila) and get there before it gets totally Cozumelified... which really shouldn't be too much longer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom