Family snorkeling trip coming up.... looking for ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Mack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK…. I know this a scuba site and I appreciate the information and opinions from the knowledgeable folks who visit this site. However this time I have a “family snorkeling” question. My wife and I are taking our son (8 years old) on another snorkeling trip in June. We have to been Cozumel several times and last year did the Whale sharks at Isla Mujeres. We are considering Cozumel again due to the ease of getting there and the simplicity of jumping in just in front of the hotel. However I was thinking about a different place in the Caribbean or Mexico. Cayman is high on the list because I think Stingray city would blow him away. I would appreciate any insight on “family oriented snorkeling trip”.

You might want to check into San Andres Island there is great snorkeling and diving and they also have a stingray tour where they take you to feed the stingrays and a snorkeling site where you find them in the sand between the reefs in 10-20 ft of water. It may cost a bit more to get there but just about everything else is cheaper there.

Ohau has great snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. It's been decades since I've been there but they used to feed all the fish, and if you didn't - the fish would pull the hairs in your legs. :eek: I followed the cable out thru the break in the reef once to deeper water. Lovely fishes! Not for the timid tho as getting back was tricky.

If snorkeling was really great tho, I wouldn't have a room for scuba gear.

I own a condo on Bonaire. About 40% or so of the folks who rent it are snorkelers, not divers. That has surprised me, but they love it. Many of the dive sites are also decent snorkel sites, as well. This Map of Bonaire dive sites indicates which ones are recommended for snorkeling.

You might try the mainland across from Coz. We took our daughters to Akumal for 10 days last year and they loved it. The diving on Coz is far better than the mainland, but it's the opposite for snorkeling. Around Akumal you have Akumal Bay, Half Moon Bay and Yal-Ku which offer some great snorkeling. I see turtles everytime I snorkel Akumal Bay. Your son won't see huge rays like sting ray city, but I regulary see 1' - 2' foot southern rays in both bays. There are a bunch of accomodations that you walk out of the door and into the water.

You might try the mainland across from Coz. We took our daughters to Akumal for 10 days last year and they loved it. The diving on Coz is far better than the mainland, but it's the opposite for snorkeling. Around Akumal you have Akumal Bay, Half Moon Bay and Yal-Ku which offer some great snorkeling. I see turtles everytime I snorkel Akumal Bay. Your son won't see huge rays like sting ray city, but I regulary see 1' - 2' foot southern rays in both bays. There are a bunch of accomodations that you walk out of the door and into the water.
And there are other sites to visit not far away - Coba ruins, Howler monkey area, etc. I wonder if they rays there would respond to hand held bait? It's an easy drive down 307 from Cancun now that the thruway thru Playa del Carmen is complete.

Last year I went to St. Croix with my family. Nice place to have your first underwater drive, Sea turtles and tropical fishes are what you will see in variety beneath water. St. Croix is situated in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I really appreciate everyone who responded with some great information. However we just found out my son made baseball allstars and our family vacation is going to be impacted by this. It looks like a much shorter vacation due to all weekend playing baseball. Back to COZ for a quick 4 day trip.

I really appreciate everyone who responded with some great information. However we just found out my son made baseball allstars and our family vacation is going to be impacted by this. It looks like a much shorter vacation due to all weekend playing baseball. Back to COZ for a quick 4 day trip.
Summer "breaks" can get out of hand at times. I'm starting to hear about my daughter's and she is a teacher: Memorial Day trip, June workshops, granddaughter's Girl Scout camp - rides needed, July trip, family reunion - conflict! I'm sure more will come up.

Congratulations to your son on making Allstars. :medal: We try to share the best deals on trips in the Coz forum if you want help? Orbitz and CheapCaribbean both have $50 discounts on air & hotel packages I think, depending on airline used. I shop Kayak, Orbitz, and CheapCaribbean for flights & packages. Operators are easy to select there of course.

Don thanks for the info on the $50 discount. I plan on booking the hotel this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom