Bahamas Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
I am going on my first liveaboard dive trip in two weeks. We are going to the Bahamas on the Gulfstream Eagle Nov. 1-5. I am getting excited, and wonder if some of the experienced members could give me advice on what to take on a trip like this, and what I could maybe expect. Also, do you think security will be a consideration now a days?

Your first liveaboard... wow! :D

Some things to remember:

1) Space is at a premium. Pack light: t shirts, shorts, bathing suit, stuff like that. You may need a very light jacket for evening after a day of diving because you can feel a bit chilled after all that time in the water. Luggage should be a soft sided duffle or similar bag that can be easily stored. Don't forget sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses, any medications you need, etc. Also, you will probably need a paperback or similar reading material for your "downtime".

2) If memory serves, the vessel is based in FL. If so, it WILL be crossing the Gulfstream. This is a trip that will probably take the better part of a day either way. It is not always a smooth crossing, so make sure you take along a good seasickness remedy.

3) If you have specific dive gear needs make sure they are going to be met. For example, if you usually dive with DIN tanks you will need an adaptor for regular tanks. You might want to consider putting together a small "save a dive kit" in a large zip-lock baggie with stuff like o-rings, extra mask & fin straps, etc. Make sure it will fit in your dive duffle. Take only ONE wetsuit. At this time of the year I suspect you will need a full 1/8". But that is according to what *I* would need. You need to find out for yourself what you will need in the water at this time of the year.

4) Remeber that you are onboard a boat. This is a marine environment that will require some adaptation on your part. For example, water is at a premium and there are special type of bathroom aboard a boat that doesn't operate the same as they do on land. (BTW, the bathroom is referred to as "the head".)

5) What are your concerns about security? You will need to take your passport if you are going to the Bahamas.

You may find it useful to draw up a good checklist & follow it when packing. It will especially be helpful when REPACKING on your way home. :wink:

This is just the abreviated version. Hope it helps!

~SubMariner~

Is this it?
http://www.gulfstreameagle.com/

I've only had one liveaboard experience in Australia, and it was very enjoyable. The only other things I can think of that Submariner hasn't addressed is that little bag of over-the-counter remedies I have learned to carry for dry-land travel through bad experience: sudafed, benedryl, pepto-bismol (sp?), anti-diarrheal, laxative, pain relievers, antacids, triple-A ointment, tampons, or anything else you might need along those lines. You just never know, and there is no corner pharmacy out there. When word got out that I had a stash of these items (especially local prunes!) I found out more about my fellow divers than I really needed to know...weird, but too true. My point: no point in being uncomfortable when it can be avoided...

Thanks for the information. I checked out the web site. Looks like fun. We have a small group from my dive shop going. Looks like about 14 of us going right now. One married couple, guess they will be using the room with double bed. As for the rest we have about 8 men and 5 women going. Most of our spouses chose stay home time. I have looked at my packing list, and it compares with general ideas above. Now I am just watching the weather, and hoping the tropics are good to us. Will post how on the trip on return. We leave in just 5 days.

You're probably going to do 4 or 5 dives a day. You'll probably feel sssssssooooooooo much more comfortable if you can put on something dry during the day. Bring either two dive skins, or, if you don't wear them, two wet suits. (Two skins take up a lot less room). Pamper yourself.

New,

You're probably going to do 4 or 5 dives a day. You'll probably feel sssssssooooooooo much more comfortable if you can put on something dry during the day. Bring either two dive skins, or, if you don't wear them, two wet suits. (Two skins take up a lot less room).

I agree that one should change into something dry in between dives, but I disagree that taking more than one suit will solve this problem. Why? Because they will BOTH wind up wet in no time... and STAY that way unless you don't use them for a couple of days. So IMHO taking more than one suit is really a waste of space.

And for those who have problems getting into wetsuits once they are wet, here's a tip: PANTYHOSE! (Cheap tights also work well and tend to last a little longer.)

Have fun on your trip, seaangel! :D

~SubMariner~

On a liveaboard this summer past, I brought two skins (and 3 lycra based bathing suits).

Hung the wet stuff in the windstream and I always had a dry bathing suit and a dry skin for every dive.

Back
Top Bottom