Where to go for the BIG PELAGICS? Palau, Tahiti, Koh Tao...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilyk

New
Reaction score
Hello All!! I am hoping someone could give me some advice regarding where to travel to in order to see the big pelagics - sharks specifically. I've been diving all around (central america, ambergris caye, utila, bonaire, turks and caicos, salt caye), and I think I'm ready to see the pacific, or something totally different. I've been toying with Koh Tao Thailand, Tahiti, Palau... Where and WHEN (best visibility and hottest water temps) should I go? I'd really really appreciate the input and advice.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Lily

Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer or Solamar v. These are liveabaords out of Cabo, Mexico. You will see Giant Mantas that love interacting with divers, Humpback whales with calves, Silky, White Tip, Silvertip and Galagogos sharks. Might even have a whale shark come by. Best time March or April.

+1 for Cocos. Sharks (whale, hammerhead, blacktip, Galapagos, silky, and whitetip reef on our trip), especially, but if you're lucky--as we were--dolphins, marlin, and tuna, too.

Definitely the Socorros out of Cabo..and at half the price and much closer than the Cocos or Galapagos. As Doubler mentioned, 7 or 8 different kinds of sharks with multiple dives with big schools of hammerheads. Giant mantas and even caught a whale shark and had quite a few dives with dolphins on my trip. Season is November-May, with the water being warmest earlier in the period. Think 5 liveaboards now run this itinerary. I went on Club Cantamar's Sea Escape.

I agree Cocos is incredible. If you live on the east coast and like wreck diving, the Morehead City/Atlantic beach, NC boats do day trips to wrecks. We saw dolphins on the surface and lots of Sand Tigers and reef sharks on the wrecks (they called them sandbar sharks, not sure). 2 hour boat ride out and can be rough but you definitely see some big stuff. Turtles and real Tiger sharks occasionally also.

+1 for Cocos. Sharks (whale, hammerhead, blacktip, Galapagos, silky, and whitetip reef on our trip), especially, but if you're lucky--as we were--dolphins, marlin, and tuna, too.

I wont say that Cocos is the best place because I have not been to all of the places yet :wink: but... I just returned last week and I saw everything vladimir saw (minus the Silky's and Marlin) but I also saw a Tiger Shark... Whale Shark on four dives... Just a wonderful experience for me and one hell of a 9 day dive...!!!

lee
3_Hammer_Heads.jpgWhale_Shark_on_the_move.jpg

Last edited:
For sharks you are also not able to beat South Africa.
You can dive with the great whites (in a cage) in Cape Town. Head up the coast to Durban and 35miles south you have The Aliwal Shoal. Here we have Sand Tigers (Ragged Tooth Sharks) resident on the shoal from June thru December. Baited sharks dives also let you dive with up to 50 Black Tip Reef Sharks on one dive, with Tigers, Hammerheads, Dusky, Zambezi (Bull) Sharks all seen as well.
Best time for the bigger sharks would be Nov to Jan. Try Agulhas House - Umkomaas Accomodation | Aliwal Shoal | Scuba Diving | PADI Dive Courses
60miles further south you get Protea Banks which also has fantastic shark diving. Last dive I did there we had 4 bull sharks, a tiger and 2 blacktps with us for 60 minutes.
Whale sharks are also seen inshore Dec to Jan but is very dependant on the visability.

Attachments

• diver-tiger.jpg
    diver-tiger.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 325

Back
Top Bottom