Anyone with info on "carry on" size limitations now in effect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're just counting the days until our trip (18), and also trying to pack/repack for the best travel configuration. We are counting on checking our two "large" bags which will contain our scuba gear (minus regs/computers, which we will have in a carry-on bag), but I am wondering if anyone knows the current maximum size for carry on? I have a new camera wheelie-case and it is supposed to meet the FAA guidelines for carry on, but this was pre-attacks. I know about the film & battery concerns.

If anyone has the info, or even a link, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Margaret

I've been travelling a bunch recently, and while I can't give you specific dimensions, the only change in regulation I have noticed is that you are allowed one 'carry-on' (meaning the standard 'legal size') and one small item such as a pusre or brief case.

I've been using a fairly standard, shoulder strap style carry-on and a messenger style bag as a brief case.

I recall seeing this as the max before I bought my latest luggage to haul my photo/video stuff. This is what is on United's site, but I thought there was something from the FAA. If anyone has the info, I'd sure appreciate it (however, in reading others' posts, sometimes what the FAA says doesn't matter -- it is up to the person you are dealing with at the individual airport).

Thanks!
Margaret

I just got back from St. Thomas and from what I saw things are pretty much the same. Lots of people had huge carry on items as well as having multiple items, like 2 smaller suitcases on wheels and a purse etc.

I used to use one of the small square bags on wheels, I think it was 9x14x22....whatever, it was FAA approved. Twice it was refused because it would fit freely into that little sizing cage they use...the wheels made it about 1/4inch too long! Talk about anal!!!

I switched to a small soft duffle bag. It's much larger than the 'approved' one but as long as you can cram it into that cage thingy, they don't mind! As for my camera, I never had a problem with the Pelican case but it's much easier to carry in a photographers backpack and not near as heavy.

So now, we check our two dive bags and one clothes bag, Beast carries the carry-on with our regs, computers, logbooks and masks and I have the camera backpack. Our tickets, passports, money, etc. is in a fanny pack which we take turns wearing.

HTH

Dee:

You said that you now use a photographer's backpack ... do you put the housing(s) in there too, or just the camera and check the rest?

Just curious,
Margaret

Maragret....I use a Sea & Sea MMIIexPro which is an underwater camera, I don't need a housing. I can fit camera, 2 strobes, base plate and strobe arms, and 4 lenses in the big cushioned part. Rechargeable batteries and film goes in an outside pocket for easy access to hand check. Other than the battery charger and maintainence kit, which goes in the dive bag, I have all my camera stuff with me.

I got the idea from another photographer who packs his housing in his clothes bag, cushioning it very well with his clothes. He's never had a problem doing it that way.

What kind of system do you have?

Hi, Dee.

I've got a ReefMaster RC with strobe (the camera is separate and the housing opens into two parts) and I also have a new Sony PC 110 digital videocam with a Gates Housing and Light & Motion strobe (which uses a Makita battery and battery charger). I've got a smaller photo case that I could probably put most of the camera gear in except the housing for the videocam and the L & M strobe which I could pack in with my clothing. That sounds like the best way for this trip ... although I'm still tossing around taking the new porter case as I've checked the web sites of the two airlines we'll be on (United Sacramento to Miami and home, and then American from Miami direct to St. Maarten), and it seems that we'll be all right. Perhaps I should make a dry run to the airport and see if the case fits in one of their sizers? Might be worth the trip.

Thanks for your info.

Regards,
Margaret

Just getting ready to fly to Cozumel, Aero Mexico and Mexicana. I've been told 55lbs per person plus 11lbs carry on.

adios don O

Folks,

This may not be representative for reasons that will become obvious as you read the post...

We flew from San Francisco to New York (JFK) on November 9. Checking in was no problem; however, there were security people who told folks that their carry-ons were too big.

Passing through the security gate and metal detectors were different matters. First, you had to remove coats and all items from your pockets and put them through the x-ray machine. Second, they would not let you pass cameras and film around the machine: everything had to be x-rayed. The x-ray process was slow and it was obvious that they were looking very carefully at the items in the luggage. Third, you were patted down and subjected to a metal detecting wand if you set the metal detecting gate alarm off; i.e., no passing through the gate a second time. Fourth, there were random searches at the boarding gate. This was the first time in this country that I felt the security check was meaningful! Not perfect, but meaningful...

It took us an hour and a half to get from the curb to the gate area.

We returned to SF from New York via JFK in the PM of November 13: it was the day after the AA crash and we decided to arrive 2.5 hours early. Our diligence was rewarded by there being no line at check-in and security having a very short line! BUT it was a very thorough security check. Again we had to pass everything on our persons through the x-ray machine and we were both patted down. I even had to unbuckle my belt so the checker could see I was not hiding a knife beneath the buckle. Even though the line was short, it still took about 15 min to get through security. They were very thorough. I talked to one of the check in people at the gate and she said that in the AM the security check line was two "blocks" long and took over an hour and a half to get though.

At both A/Ps computers had to be removed from luggage and put through the x-ray machines separately. I am not certain why--and in that atmosphere I did not want to question why! My guess is that if you take your dive computer in your carry-on, you will need to have it examined, but I am not certain. Maybe if they ask you what it is and you answer, "A scuba gauge," you will not need to take it out of your luggage???

At both airports there were armed services personnel with automatic rifles and real heightened sense of security. JFK was particullarly tense feeling...

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom