Fiji v. Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I feel kinda silly posting this, seeing as this trip is definitely a ways a way. In my Dry Dock, I have been coping by reading scubaboard and trying to plan things out. I have been searching and searching trying to get a grip on this particular topic of where to go for the big trip before we have kids. We are hoping to take 3 weeks, probably thinking 2015-2016.

Two new divers, early thirties, (but hopefully will be intermediate new divers by the time this trip would occur), hb is an aspiring uw photographer, looking for gorgeous coral reefs and tons of life. Big stuff is not really our prerogative but the opportunity here and there would be cool. I estimate we would have about 100 dives each by the time this trip happened (knock on wood) so not something with too crazy of conditions. If parts of the trip could include shore diving, that would be a pretty big plus as we really like being on our own schedule. We actually like shallow and low key when possible. Also, we have never done a live aboard, and would probably be open to that being part of the trip, but we are not totally sold. This also seems to be a bit of a budget breaker. This would obviously be an expensive trip and we would mostly be looking for middle of the road type accommodations and not all out luxe, spare no expense type travel. We would probably want to mostly dive, but would be up for some nature, hiking, sight seeing, too. Not really in to the party or drinking scene or shopping, etc. We do appreciate good food, but are not picky eaters.

The general sense that I get from searches is that the coral can be amazing in Fiji, but the other sea life is not as diverse as Indonesia. I do not have a sense of the inter island logistics of both places and how hard that can be or just the general expense side - is Fiji way more expensive in general?

I am really interested in doing Bali, with 1-2 legs to either Ambon, Alor, or Lembeh (not sure if we would be ready skills wise for Komodo live aboard). The other totally different option would be Fiji with Tavenui and/or Nagiani and/or live aboard.

Honestly, I am sure that coming from the Caribbean either or these places will be awesome for us, I am just looking for overall advice about the differences between these types of trips in terms of the type of diving I am looking for, dive experience needed to enjoy the region, price ranges available for accommodations, ease of travel between places and overall impressions of the region for reef health, locals attitudes toward tourism, etc.

Oh and feel free to let me know if there is a general destination I am over looking!

Last edited:
Alor currents can be at times worse than Komodo so you may want to consider that in your planning. Lembeh is a different type of dive (muck) and also a lot cheaper and would tick the boxes for budget and photography.

Wingy, I wonder if newer divers will really be able to absorb the wonder of Lembeh? Myself, I needed 80+/- dives before realized there was more to the underwater world than bigger fish. Even at that point, though had come to appreciate smaller and peculiar life, still wanted the coral heads, cool formations, diversity, blah, blah, blah. Does one have to be special or just more special than me to love the diving in Lembeh's black muck and man's trash, at an early stage in diver's life?

I lived in Jakarta for a number of years and have dived both these areas extensively. Indonesia has numerous excellent dive sites. In-particular, the Raja Ampat archipelago off of New Guinea (an area containing over 1500 islands) that has been reported to have the highest biodiversity on the planet! Definitely Indonesia!

Chilly :wink: I can relate....although for me it was an inverse problem.....i really started scuba in Milne Bay Papua New Guinea the ''home of muck diving'' after surface support and freediving where the only muck is home to animals....I had to get past the man made trash before I got to really appreciate Lembeh - im a current junkie and if I cant have a rip roaring current and a pass (tipuata is my fav dive spot) I prefer walls and pinacles but hey I still love Lembeh and Milne Bay equally but for different reasons. I guess for a new diver into photography theres lots of hovering practice whereas at alor you quite often find yourself practicing Heyyyyy im heading to the Phillipinessssssssss :wink:

I guess bang for buck would be Indonesia although I have yet to dive Fiji so can only go on observations of my own and second hand reports.

...im a current junkie and if I cant have a rip roaring current and a pass (tipuata is my fav dive spot) .

You'd love the Saltstraumen Maelstrom in Norway (currents up to 40 kph, although you don't dive it that fast); the whirlpools are crazy! Unfortunately, the water is cold; something that you're probably not use to... :)

Ahh yes, cold water may yet prove to be my own personal kryptonite :idk: Norway is on the list and the Maelstrom I have heard of in whispered terms..are you insane type terms ... but im hoping to one day dive cold water well enough to do it!

Coming from the Caribbean, either Fiji or Indonesia will blow you away. I have been diving in both.

The soft corals of Taveuni and the Rainbow Reef are spectacular. Probably the best I have seen anywhere. Turtles are common as are whitetip reef sharks and plenty of small fish. The shark dives at Beqa are amazing. I have tried a couple times to get out to the Bligh Waters but was prevented on the first trip by a ruptured tympanic membrane and on the second trip by road closures due to flooding. When the boats resumed service, I ended up going to Mana Island in the Mamanucas that time just so I could get a few days diving in rather than sitting around my hotel in Nadi for the whole week. The diving there was decent but not spectacular and the vis wasn't great due to all the run off from the rain.

I don't think you can't beat Indonesia for the variety. I've made 4 trips there in the last 2 years and can't wait to return. I've been to Lembeh 3 times, Bunaken, Nusa Lembongan, Tulamben, Ambon, a liveaboard from Bali to Komodo and a liveaboard from Maumere to Raja Ampat. I think I may be addicted to the muck (hence the 3 trips to Lembeh and just recently to Ambon) so that is one reason why Indo tops my list of favourite places to dive. However, I was very impressed with the variety on both liveaboard trips I did. I would love to go back and do more diving in Komodo, the Banda Islands and Raja Ampat. The amount of fish in Raja Ampat is incredible. The corals are probably second to what I saw in Fiji. You also get to see manta rays which is something I never get tired of. Unfortunately Raja Ampat is not cheap. I think I got a pretty good deal doing the liveaboard crossing trip that I did.

I didn't find the currents in Komodo to be that strong. I think a confident diver with 100+ dives would be just fine. Nusa Lembongan on the other hand was a challenge, even though I have 500+ dives. There was no stopping to look at anything you just had to go with the flow. Sometimes we covered 3 dive sites in one dive! If you like shore diving on your own schedule, Tulamben is fabulous. I arrived there at 10:30pm after a very long day of travel. They asked me what time I wanted to go diving in the morning. I asked what was the best time and they said to be in the water by 6am to see the school of bumphead parrotfish on the bow of the Liberty wreck. So that was the plan. The rest of the trip we dived whatever sites I wanted at whatever time I wanted to go.

For other factors besides the diving... Fiji is expensive. Many of the resorts have backpacker dorms which are cheap but I haven't had good luck with that getting bed bugs twice! Otherwise hotel rooms tend to be expensive. Food is expensive (about $20 for a meal) as is getting around. For instance to get to Beqa from the Suva airport cost around $60 FJD for a taxi. There is very limited public transport options - normally one bus a day so if the time doesn't suit you are stuck hiring a taxi. In Indonesia everything is pretty cheap. Food can be really cheap if you are happy to eat at the local warungs. I stay in nicer places than I usually opt for in Indonesia simply because they are so affordable.

In both countries I recommend to avoid the touristy areas and head to more remote spots. You will find friendly, welcoming people in both countries. Good luck whatever you decide. If you want more info on either place feel free to PM me.

Interesting Kat..ive never found the currents at Lembongan/Penida to be anything at all really strong other than when having to swim back against it at SD - I guess its apples and oranges, the site on a particular day, what currents youve encountered at other spots. I know it is a strong current but to me it was a manageable current not an up and down lets have a party current. On the other hand, I did find the currents at Komodo to be strong. You should do Milne Bay - thats a whole new kind of awesome for muck divers. Worth every cent.

Rainbow Reef is on my list as are a few other spots in Fiji, I am toying with a trip in October - is it common practice for shark baiting? Im on a personal crusade to boycott any operator who baits for shark dives, im happy enough to take my chances on having sharks show up rather than demand they cater to my whims.

Back
Top Bottom