Need trip cancellation insurance advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prosdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son and I are leaving for Bonaire on July 19, less than 2 weeks away. I've had DAN's highest level of insurance for several years, so I've got medical, evacuation and equipment coverage taken care of. As my trip gets closer, everyone in my family is getting sick from stuff going around, except me and my dive buddy son. I'd like to get some type of trip cancellation insurance in the event either of us gets sick or something like a hurricane (unlikely for Bonaire), but I don't need the duplicate coverage on medical and other stuff I get through DAN. The only thing I would need covered is the hotel stay at Buddy Dive (which I hear they absolutely will not refund in any way, even if you ask for credit for a later stay) and the airline ticket reschedule fee of $150 each since I booked with United Mileage Plus points. Any suggestions?

We've had good luck with Allianz Global Assist, which we purchase when we buy our tickets on AA. You may be inside the window for "cancel for any reason", but you should be able to still buy it up to 2 days before travel, depending on the company. USAA also has travel insurance. Hope you are able to make your trip!

I've had DAN's highest level of insurance for several years, so I've got medical, evacuation and equipment coverage taken care of.
You do not have medical and equipment coverage.

You have $10,000 Accident coverage, and your gear has some coverage if you have a diving accident.

From DAN's website

Coverage is for diving equipment that is worn on the diver's person that is "cut loose" and is lost or damaged as a result of a Covered Diving Accident. This coverage excludes watches, torn straps or buckles, or photographic equipment.

The highest plan also covers Diving Vacation Cancellation and Interruption, but note that the limits are lifetime limits. See Scuba Diving Accident Insurance ? About Scuba Insurance Programs ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

Don and SC, Its been years since I read the DAN policy, after going over it again I see that both of you are correct. I'm not worried about the medical since my out of network medical policy from work will reimburse for illness and accidents from diving or other reasons are covered in a limited amount by DAN. Even with the lifetime limits, there is DAN coverage for trip cancellation or interruption, so I glad to see I don't need a separate policy at this time. Thanks for the help. Don, it was nice to meet you last year in Cozumel at your birthday party and the bar at the Hotel Cozumel, hope we get to have another drink again sometime.

I think the main consideration about the trip cancellation/interruption insurance included with DAN preferred is not so much the lifetime limit, but that it only applies to diving related cancellations:

"this benefit pays for the losses described
below that an Insured Person incurs
for a trip cancelled up to the time and date of
departure for a Sickness or Injury that would
substantially impair his or her ability to dive. "

So if you had a bad cold and were too congested to dive, this might cover you. Which would be a good thing, as I don't think a regular travel insurance policy would cover that (unless maybe it was an expensive "cancel for any reason" policy.) I expect they'd say you're not so sick you can't go on the trip and sit on the beach - the fact that diving is the whole/only reason you were taking the trip, and you can't, would escape them. But it's not general purpose travel insurance, it doesn't do anything for you if a hurricane wipes out your trip, someone dies, etc. I read it as trying to fill in for some diving specific issues that a regular travel insurance provider is unlikely to see as events they should cover.

Don and SC, Its been years since I read the DAN policy, after going over it again I see that both of you are correct. I'm not worried about the medical since my out of network medical policy from work will reimburse for illness and accidents from diving or other reasons are covered in a limited amount by DAN. Even with the lifetime limits, there is DAN coverage for trip cancellation or interruption, so I glad to see I don't need a separate policy at this time. Thanks for the help. Don, it was nice to meet you last year in Cozumel at your birthday party and the bar at the Hotel Cozumel, hope we get to have another drink again sometime.
Ok, if you are covered for medical out of country, cool. Just didn't want you to think that your DAN Dive Accident plan covered that. Your DAN membership still does cover you for evacuation, including medical, as long as it's requested from them and they set it up.

For covering your hotel and airline fees, this site will give you a long list of companies and plans along with some shopping tools.
InsureMyTrip.com | Quote | Help

Thanks for coming to the BD dinner. That was Chief's doing, and he did great - a fun time. I do not remember meeting anyone at the Hotel Coz bar, I really didn't spend much time there, but my memory has never been great - sorry. We just need to do that again sometime, but enjoy your Bonaire trip for now. Chantal is expected to follow the Antilles well north of there, be long gone by the time you arrive, and not much of a storm anyway.

I will have to give a big NEGATIVE for Allianz Global Assist. I bought the insurance for a trip a month ahead of time and 3 days before a doctors appt. The doctors appt said that I needed surgery a.s.a.p. and that I shouldn't dive. Allianz said because of the impending Doctors appt, I should have know what the Doctor was going to tell me and would NOT reimburse me for anything. So I give them a thumbs down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom