Batteries on the flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyDan

Registered
Reaction score
When I was leaving Grand Cayman a few months ago, the security people at the airport made us remove all the batteries from our lights. I can understand why, those lights put off a lot of heat and an accidental "turning on" could be a real problem. But nobody I was with had ever had to do this before. Is this going on everywhere? Or anywhere else?

We're leaving for St. John this weekend, and I'd like to know if I need to keep my batteries and lights separated.
Thanks,
Dan

I had this happen to me in Grand Cayman last July as well. But not in Mexico or any domestic airports since then. I have flown through Pensacola, Ft. Lauderdale, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas and Los Angeles and no-one has asked me to remove batteries. I specifically asked them in a few places and TSA did not require it.

Must be a Grand Cayman "thing" :)

I always take batteries out of my lights in part so they won't look suspicous on x-ray, and so the weight won't increase the chance of light breakage.

don

I also remove batteries so the item doesn't accidentally get turned on and drain the juice!!

Diverlady

I was in Grand Cayman twice last fall. In September no one asked anything about batteries. In October, Island air jumped on the battery bandwagon, for my Twin Otter flight to the Brac. On the Island Air return nothing was said about batteries. For the return flight to the U.S., after my luggage had been hand searched and checked, I was called to security because the x-ray showed a light in my bag. I was asked to remove the batteries, after which I was told that I could either put them in my carry on, or have them taped by security and replaced in my checked baggage.

I had the same light with batteries on both trips. I guess it just depends.

All of us had to remove light batteries on the TACA flight back to Miami. Jan 2004

But were not required to do so on the flight to Roatan (from Miami).

Wonder if they are considering a light with batteries in it as a weapon. They could pack quite a punch depending on how many batteries there are.

Paula

The guy checking bags dumped them out of my lights two weeks ago.

by iata-standards you are requested to make sure that lights and flashlights can not accidently turn on.
safety reasons, due to high temperatures such a light could start a fire.

correct procedure would be, first prove that light is working (turn it on). then remove battery or light bulb. it is also recommended to carry such items as cabin baggage.

however, rule ist not always enforced.

swisstrav

I always put batteries in my hand luggage, as I once had a problem of leakage.

Back
Top Bottom