Question on Windward Islands and British Virgin Islands...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Future

Reaction score
Im looking at going on a liveaboard diving trip to either the BVI's or the Windwads Islands. HAs anyone dived both of them and if so which place was more scenic, colorful, more fish, etc.

Thanks,
Jason

Future:
Im looking at going on a liveaboard diving trip to either the BVI's or the Windwads Islands. HAs anyone dived both of them and if so which place was more scenic, colorful, more fish, etc.

Thanks,
Jason

Are you sure you want Windward, or Leeward? The Leewards are adjacent to the BVIs, while the Windwards are on down south. http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0852450.html

I know the Caribbean Explorer http://www.caribexplorer.com/ has boats that do the two northern groups, and I've heard all good on them, although I have not done one of them yet.

Do not think of Windjammer as a Liveaboard Diving Vessel! They can be fun, but not nearly as much diving as I want.

good luck, don

We just returned from a very nice week on the Cuan Law in the BVI (Jan 18-24, 2004).

We had a great time on the Cuan Law. The week was wonderful and my wife had a good time, I think she liked being one of the most "aggressive" divers for a change instead of the wimpiest. I did the most dives for the week (18) but she was second with 16 dives. The diving was quite nice (better than I expected), our fellow passengers were fine (11 onboard out of 20 max and only 9 divers) and it is an excellent boat and crew. The food was by far the best of any liveaboard I've been on, and the cabins were larger with triple the typical storage space. They followed a more relaxed three dives per day schedule than what they call “gorilla diving.” Overall, it makes a great trip if you want to relax more than the usual 5 dive per day routine, do a little Hobie cat sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, water skiing, hiking, or swim in to a beach between dives. Snorkeling is available on many sites making this an enjoyable trip for a nondiving partner, they also offer spa services if at least four passengers request it, those that indulged loved the masseuse. Only negatives were 40 or 45 minute limits on many dives and a couple sites with non ideal conditions.

Fortunately, Duncan Muirhead, the owner was the skipper because he was training a new skipper and with cooperative weather we made it to several sites they don't usually dive. He's been skipper in the BVI for over 30 years, designed the Cuan Law and Lammer Law in the Galapagos, and really knows the area. We did the wreck of the RMS Rhone featured in several scenes in the movie “The Deep” (neat wreck and great night dive), the wreck of the Chikuzen (unfortunately 15 ft max vis), the Blinders near the famous Baths with fun swim throughs under huge boulders, and a variety of very healthy reefs at sites such as Alice’s Wonderland, Blonde Rock, Carrot Shoals, Black Forest, Carval Rock, and Brown Pants. I saw my first cobia and school of sennet.

And, I was delighted to learn upon returning that Boston had one of the coldest weeks of the winter. ;-)

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Ralph

no its the windwards (st lucia, st vinvent and grenada). This liveaboard dive trip is a little different then the one you might have gone on Ralph. It will be a total of 21 days ill be in either the BVI's or Windwars, im really looking forward to it. The company is called "Odyssey Expeditions" has anyone heard of anything about them?

I was in BVI for 21 days last summer and will be returing this summer as well. BVI has great dive sites, including the formentioned Rhone and the Chikuzen (although when i dove it there was great vis. a great place to go!!! and not crowded at all) there was an abundance of marine life, and the islands are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom