Diving and Rock Climbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm an avid diver and rock climber and thinking of taking some time off next year (~ Aug- Nov) to do some diving + climbing.

Know it's a long shot but anyone on this forum who does both and is considering doing something like that next year as well?

Considering going someplace which has both activities in a close-by location such that one can easily go from diving one day to climbing the next (or even diving in the morning and climbing in the afternoons/evenings.

Possibilities include doing a DM course (that may also be a cheaper way as there are some places that offer unlimited diving as a DMT)

I'm a certified Rescue Diver and EANx diver.
Climbing wise, I can lead (sport) up to 6C on a good day. Have 0 trad experience but keen to learn.

Places I've identified as possibilities so far:
Railay/Krabi. Been there, climbing is great, diving is so-so
Koh Tao. Been there, climbing is not bad (but not great), diving is so-so

Never been there
Malta. I've heard tonnes about the climbing, not much about the diving
Kalymnos. Again, rave reviews about climbing but not much about diving
Mallorca. Supposed to have pretty decent climbing but not much heard about diving
Cayman Brac. Apparently overpriced and not great
South Africa/Cape Town.

If anyone has more suggestions, do let me know.

Cheers!

Before you dismiss Brac, www.[B]climbcaymanbrac[/B].com/‎ , has some good info. The diving is exceptional and regards to price, there are some inexpensive places to rent on Brac. It's hotter than Hades during the summer, but the North walls are in the shade most of the time. They have installed Titanium bolts for safety and their routes are published for everybody to use . In terms of overpriced and not great, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. The diving can be done anywhere from shore, and the DM training could be done at one of the two dive operations. Stay safe

Sounds like lots of options to weigh up. Do youwant to just practice your climbing, or become an instructor?

If you find yourself needing information aboutclimbing/diving on Koh Tao, feel free to check out our website or contact us. Alsothere is a free climbing guide on our website that you can view and download ifyou want to.

Good luck and enjoy your adventures :)

Yes,your suggestion is so good.I think this is the best suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom