Best city to live in and dive from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roydude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice / tips from our lovely worldwide community here: I'm a diving fanatic, but my partner isn't (well, she's an OW diver, but it's not really her 'thing').

To satisfy both of our needs for future living, we're looking for a city / town with a good diving scene that doesn't require a few hours travelling / a whole day away just to do a couple of dives.

Can anyone recommend such a place or make a suggestion for us to look into (anywhere in the world, but preferably somewhere warm!).

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice / tips from our lovely worldwide community here: I'm a diving fanatic, but my partner isn't (well, she's an OW diver, but it's not really her 'thing').

To satisfy both of our needs for future living, we're looking for a city / town with a good diving scene that doesn't require a few hours travelling / a whole day away just to do a couple of dives.

Can anyone recommend such a place or make a suggestion for us to look into (anywhere in the world, but preferably somewhere warm!).

Thanks in advance!

Palm Beach Diving is your answer! :)
Great diving from DelRay Beach to Jupiter, and some fantastic Entertainment Districts such as Clematis ( Downtown Waterfront area of West Palm Beach) or Atlantic Avenue of Delray Beach.
[video=youtube_share;BbppKZ3qxfk]http://youtu.be/BbppKZ3qxfk[/video]

And for Clematis....see if this link to Clematis works.... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.512688998787885.1073741827.143570335699755&type=3

Houston area?

You got the Flower Gardens as well as quick access to the Caribbean from the airport.

That, plus it isn't Florida. :rofl3: (sorry Dan, I just had to)

Houston area?

You got the Flower Gardens as well as quick access to the Caribbean from the airport.

That, plus it isn't Florida. :rofl3: (sorry Dan, I just had to)

Ha ha...:)
In point of fact....I'd live almost anywhere other than Lauderdale or Miami...and worse still is Orlando.... I hate suburban sprawl....And I hate the high traffic of big cities.
What is nice about Palm Beach, is there are some areas where you can live affordably on the Intercoastal--or even the ocean...and be just a few minutes from a great dining or shopping area like an Entertainment district like Clematis, Lake Worth, or DelRay....You can live on an Island like Singer Island, be walking distance to the World Famous Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park ( diving is free here :)...and you are about a mile away from the Dive Boats......The Island
has some good restaurants on it--but again, it is only about 10 minutes to Clematis or City Place( another Entertainment District) or the huge PGA Mall.

Traffic is typically a non-issue compared to virtually any big city....and completely a non-issue if you live East by the water....there is a population that lives out west about 10 miles from the ocean....they went after the promise of cheap land and bigger homes with more affordability--but this sort of defeats the purpose of living in South Florida and being by the water...at least that's what I always considered cool about this area...being "On the Water".

Singapore has a good diving scene??

Perth, Western Australia.
One of the most isolated cities in the world
Great city
Great diving

I'm still raising kids so I wouldn't move there just yet, but the Bahamas would be great. Just a short plane ride back to the US and fantastic diving!
My second choice would be to settle for South Florida :wink:

Although it does not meet the criteria for "warm", Seattle is, I think, one of the best places in the world to be a diver. Within a thirty minute drive of my house (at least outside of rush hour!) I have six very good shore diving sites, several of which are accessible at any time of day and in almost any weather. If you extend the drive to an hour, I pick up a bunch more shore diving sites, as well as access to a couple of charter boats. We almost NEVER have anything resembling a surf entry, and our boat rides are generally smooth enough that even people with major seasickness problems aren't bothered. We have wrecks and reefs and Giant Pacific Octopuses, and an overall density of underwater life that is amazing. We're also not far from Vancouver Island, which has world-class diving and even better viz.

Seattle's a great city in which to live, as well, with a prospering tech economy. For people who are outdoorsy but not divers, there is hiking, bicycling, kayaking, skiing, horseback riding . . . it's an active kind of place.

The down side is that right now, it's 17 degrees . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom